HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels?

Ok I have been a shimano guy since the 80s but the last two reels I have bough a Stradic and a Sahara both have developed tight spots when you crank them. I took them apart and cleaned them and relubed with reel butter and hot sauce. Didn't go away. Both were of the 1000 size. I'm done with them, no more shimano reels for me.
    So, I bought a President 25 Pflueger it works pretty good but it feels loose and the line digs into itself and the casting isn't great. I also bought a Pflueger Supreme 30, very nice and I don't experience the line problems like with the President. The Supreme is pretty sweet and the 30 size works good on a medium light rod very well. Last year I got a Daiwa Fuego and last week I got a Daiwa Exceler on clearance from cabelas for 39 bucks. I like the 2000 and 1500 daiwa way better than the 1000 size and the smoothness and solid feel is surprising. I haven't tried a Quantum reels in years.
    As of now I'm sold on the daiwa 2000s, perfect panfish size. The 1500 is good for 2 and 4 lb test and the 2000 is great for 4 and 6 lb test mono. Is there any models and brands that you guys think are a good value and high quality that I haven't tried? Not interested in low end reels or super high end reels, just good middle of the road on price point and top on quality, best bang for you buck is what I guess I'm trying to say. What are you guys using and what's your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T-roy 120 View Post
    Ok I have been a shimano guy since the 80s but the last two reels I have bough a Stradic and a Sahara both have developed tight spots when you crank them. I took them apart and cleaned them and relubed with reel butter and hot sauce. Didn't go away. Both were of the 1000 size. I'm done with them, no more shimano reels for me.
    So, I bought a President 25 Pflueger it works pretty good but it feels loose and the line digs into itself and the casting isn't great. I also bought a Pflueger Supreme 30, very nice and I don't experience the line problems like with the President. The Supreme is pretty sweet and the 30 size works good on a medium light rod very well. Last year I got a Daiwa Fuego and last week I got a Daiwa Exceler on clearance from cabelas for 39 bucks. I like the 2000 and 1500 daiwa way better than the 1000 size and the smoothness and solid feel is surprising. I haven't tried a Quantum reels in years.
    As of now I'm sold on the daiwa 2000s, perfect panfish size. The 1500 is good for 2 and 4 lb test and the 2000 is great for 4 and 6 lb test mono. Is there any models and brands that you guys think are a good value and high quality that I haven't tried? Not interested in low end reels or super high end reels, just good middle of the road on price point and top on quality, best bang for you buck is what I guess I'm trying to say. What are you guys using and what's your thoughts?
    I have been loving Okuma Avenger 10 and 15 series reels for my ultralight and featherweight rods. I have gone down to 2# test on the 10b, and 4# most often on the 15a.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I will check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had shimanos for many years and have not had to buy any for at least ten years. I bought my wife a flueger and it feels very smooth and looks pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martyjmc66 View Post
    I have had shimanos for many years and have not had to buy any for at least ten years. I bought my wife a flueger and it feels very smooth and looks pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know, all my old symetre reels (bass size) are old and still kicking but I'm afraid the new mid grade shimanos of the day aren't as good as the ones of yesterday.
    Likes martyjmc66 LIKED above post
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would google those reels and that grabbing issue. Read something a while back on it. Can't remember it verbatim but something to do with a washer or sleeve on spool shaft below the spool. Some guy had figured out a fix for it. I have never had the line problem you describe on the 1 president that I have. It's the smoothest reel I own in spinning.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes martyjmc66 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All my reels are Daiwas.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Have several Stradic CI4 1000s. Love them. Never experienced any drag on the 4 I have. Sounds like the bail trip is hanging up. Check the washers behind the spool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the older Shimanos is caused by a friction ring around the spool arbor. Very easy and inexpensive to replace. However, since Shimano upped their pricing on the Sahara and Symetre models, I've switched over to the Pflueger Presidents. I have 3 of the them and one Trion. I have no complaints on these reels. The smoothness and drag are stellar. This is my 3rd. season with them and I'll never go back to Shimano. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast