Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; HAPPY 4TH. OF JULY!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; HAPPY 4TH. OF JULY!

Walt & I hit the Quabbin again today, with high expectations of getting past 50 fish for the day. We didn't quite make it! We launched around 7:45 am with the air at a cool 56 degrees. Water temp was 74 however with little or no wind to speak of. Pretty day, but not exactly what we had hoped for.

Wildlife was cooperative however, with an eagle providing a "4th. Fly Over" for our celebration! And the loons put on a show for us as well:

Name:  Loons.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  70.5 KB

Not the best picture, but we were moving a bit. Anyway with the last report, I cited that Walt had the "hot rod" for the day. Today it was role reversal day, much to the chagrin of my dear friend. But hey, that's why they call it fishing.....and not "catching" - right?

It started off great with 25 fish by 11:00 am. Here's some of the bait and fish we saw on the Hummingbird:

Name:  22_Feet.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  51.1 KB

Then "poof", the switch was thrown and we had a difficult time even getting bluegills to bite! And coincidentally, that's when the breeze finally kicked into gear. Unusual to say the least. We did find that the color black with chartreuse was "the" color for the day. I used some of the Strike King curly tailed "shad bodies" that I received from a contest winning recently. In black with chartreuse tail, it proved to be a real killer. Along with a straight tail "pinky shads" or "smoky shads". As long as some chartreuse was in the mix.

Here are some shots Walt was forced to take of only me today!

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  125.7 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  Rich_4.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  115.0 KB

It was truly a delightful day to be out on the water with a fine friend and fisherman like Walt. I took a parting shot as we started packing it in for the day, around 2 pm.:

Name:  Scene.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  73.8 KB

It doesn't get much better than that! HAPPY 4TH. OF JULY! God Bless Americal!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....a very good day
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting.
    I think Walt ought to post more often with his view of the day just to prove that you're not telling us big windy's all the time.....
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6poundtest View Post
    Thanks for posting.
    I think Walt ought to post more often with his view of the day just to prove that you're not telling us big windy's all the time.....
    To: 6poundtest
    I keep the running totals for the trip and the numbers are good.
    We are a far off from the numbers for the last 2 years but I believe there was a fish kill and the Crappie population got hit hard.
    We are showing some improvements in numbers gradually this year but I think it will be a few years before we start to see the large numbers like the past 2 years.
    Hope to hear you get out and wet a line soon. Looking forward to seeing your posts.
    Tight lines to all.
    Have a great day.
    Walt