Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Johnson Outboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Johnson Outboard

Need a little help. I stopped by a Johnson Dealer today, and asked about a question about some leaking out from under my prop. I thought it was seals, but he mentioned something about that being an exhaust port as well, and that the black showed this to be true. So, we don't feel that we need to replace seals.
    My question is a simple one, however. The motor, itself, is a 20-hp tiller handle. It is a '78 model, and runs like a top. I didn't have my motor with me for the serial number, so I asked them about the oil/gas mixture. The mixture on the side of the motor says 100:1. However, the service guys in there discouraged that greatly and told me to run it at 50:1. They mentioned something about how that mixture was a selling point back then, only to find out that it shouldn't have been that. They were running them to lean at 100:1.
    Does anyone have any opinions regarding this? Does anyone have any experience with this? I figured that someone on here has had something of the same deal with this motor.
    Any help and/or opinions would be great appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

No opinion about it.

They told you the truth.

Andrus Cove, La. (between Lake Arthur & Jennings)
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the dealer, run a 50:1 mixture. I had a yamaha that called for a 100:1 mixture and while others were having trouble at that ratio I never had a lick of trouble with mine at 50:1. You may have to change your plugs a little more often but that is pennies compared to an overhual or new motor.

In my motor that I have to mix, I run 50:1. If my tank is not completely empty I will always add enough oil to make 6 gallons, just for a little added serurity feeling on my part. I have never had a motor burn up for too much oil.

Warren
    The postings on this site by me, Marshrat, are opinion only unless specified as truth. I will not be held responsible for anyone using my opinions as an aliby to keep from getting in trouble with the law.:D

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Johnson 9.9 -well that is what it says on the cowl- and I run 50:1 ratio with no problems. 100:1 seems to me to be too little oil. I would rather have a little too much oil than not enough.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I would try 50:1 and keep fuel conditioner in it and keep a check on those plugs like "Marshrat" said and maybe even keep a few in the boat just in case.

You can go to www.themarinedoctor.com and he will probably be able to tell you.
    A positive additude may not fix all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locoman
    I would try 50:1 and keep fuel conditioner in it and keep a check on those plugs like "Marshrat" said and maybe even keep a few in the boat just in case.

You can go to www.themarinedoctor.com and he will probably be able to tell you.

What kind of fuel conditioner are you talking about? And, do I just add that to the gas mixture when I add my oil when I fill up? Also, do I add the recommended amount, or a different amount?

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

there was a chaNGE ABOUT THE 100 : 1 MIX GO WITH THE 50:1 . YOU MAY NEED TO GO WITH A HOTTER PLUG . I USE A QL 77 JC4 . ON A 1979 55 HP . MY X SONINLAW HAD A 48 AND AFTER IT BAD WE FOUND OUT ABOUT THE 100:1 MIX WAS RONG .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I use Stabil whenever I fuel up. I would use the recommended amount on the container. This will also extend time between carb rebuilds.
    A positive additude may not fix all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.