Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake D'Arbonne crappie fishing

beerluvr99 Guest

Default Lake D'Arbonne crappie fishing

We are planning a weekend at D'Arbonne on the 28th-30th of January. If anyone can give me some locations to fish I would be very thankful. We will be staying in the cabins in the park. I here the channel is doing good and by some island. I have fished D'Arbonne only a few times and it was some years ago, so I am not familiar with the named locations. I am not trying to move in on anyones action I am just out with the family to have a good time and catch some fish.

Also, are there any places to hang yo-yo's and are they doing anything? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default beerluvr99......

Quote Originally Posted by beerluvr99
    We are planning a weekend at D'Arbonne on the 28th-30th of January. If anyone can give me some locations to fish I would be very thankful. We will be staying in the cabins in the park. I here the channel is doing good and by some island. I have fished D'Arbonne only a few times and it was some years ago, so I am not familiar with the named locations. I am not trying to move in on anyones action I am just out with the family to have a good time and catch some fish.

Also, are there any places to hang yo-yo's and are they doing anything? Thanks
    Hello, beerluvr99......welcome aboard. We have a couple members that fish D'Arbonne regularly, but they are both working weekdays. Meanwhile, check the past threads by clicking on "Louisiana crappie", and look for the name D'Arbonne. You can get an idea how and where they're fishing until they get back on the site. I assume you're from N. LA, and we could sure use a few more members in this area. Looking forward to reading your posts, and again, welcome......

Post Thanks / Like

They were biting in the channel on main part of lake above and below the bridge on Hwy. 33. The recent rain and cold weather has them bithing slow right now, but if no bad weather should be biting well when you are there. There are also some artificial reefs on the lake, but haven't heard of anyone fishing them. There is one just out from the state park. Anywhere you can find deep water you should be able to catch a few good fish. I prefer jigs tipped with crappie nibbles, but people I know are catching some nice fish on shiners. Reports I am getting are fish are being caught from 15-22 feet deep. I have caught most of mine at around 18 feet. Just have to work to find the right depth. Terral Island area is what you are hearing. Also Piney Point area. Both are south of the Hwy. 33 bridge. If it doesn't rain tonight or tomorrow and wind is not blowing too bad may try to go myself. Went Tues. and Wed. morning and didn't do anything, although no one I talked to were catching very many, but with Crappie you never know from one day to the next..Good luck and keep us posted on the trip.
    Rick

specker Guest

Default The cabins are nice

you should have a nice stay. You can get a map of the lake at the park office for $5.00 it is very helpful. You will be on the opposite end of the lake from where I usually fish. there may some some good spots up there but I don't get up that way very often. It is a long haul to the south end where I live especially if it is windy. D'arbonne is a little tricky in that to get around you have to follow marked channels and boat roads. I would reccomend that you stay to the marked channels and shortcut only if you know what your doing, there have been many damaged motors in this lake. I always carry a couple of extra shear pins in my tackle box. If you put in at the park take a left at the end of the park boat road that leads to the channel and follow the markers to Forks Ferry. Take a right when you get to FF and follow the markers to the Hwy 33 bridge. There are some fish being caught in that area around the bridge. If you continue on under the bridge you will be headed toward Stow Creek and Terral Island boat roads. They are marked with signs on the marker poles. The channel in the Stow Creek and Terral Is. area is where the action has been good. You may want to trailer your boat to the marina and put in there. Or you can see my post that explains how to get to the Terral Is. landing.

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=3495

I have been catching them about 16' using large shiners. Let us know how you did and good luck.

beerluvr99 Guest

Thanks guys. Keep in touch next week. It looks like the weather will be nice through next week.