Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Rod Guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Changing Rod Guides

How much trouble would it be to change the rod guides to spinning guides????DemoMan

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hey Demo ...

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionMan
    How much trouble would it be to change the rod guides to spinning guides????DemoMan
    on what kind of rod

Are you talking about changing baitcast rod guides to the bigger spinning rod guides ... or just exchanging spinning rod guides to larger ones ?? And why do you think it's necessary ?? Just curious, and want to get the thread going in the right direction, information wise. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm talking about changing the rod guides on one of my 12' B N M rods to get longer casts from it....It has the smaller eyes....DemoMan

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question You're "casting" with a 12ft rod

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionMan
    I'm talking about changing the rod guides on one of my 12' B N M rods to get longer casts from it....It has the smaller eyes....DemoMan
    Hehe .. sorry, couldn't resist :D I don't think that rod was built with "casting" in mind

Seriously though ... I think most rod repair/builders charge something like 3-4 dollars a guide (plus cost of guide) to replace them. If you are a DIY'er, then the cost of the guides and materials is all you'll be out.

I don't know that bigger guides will increase your casting distance, significantly enough to justify the cost/time/effort. Just MHO. I have a 6ft carbon rod (Mitchell Zero Gravity) that has small guides and a tip eye that's so small - 6lb test line won't cast thru it, more than a few feet But, 4lb test line will ... and I can cast a 1/16oz jig, just as far with this rod, as I can with my 7 & 8ft rods (with the same # test line).

If you're already using fairly light test line (4-6lb test) on this rod/reel .... maybe it's not the fault of the rod. What reel are we using ? If it's a small diameter spool UL reel, that may be the problem, moreso than the guide diameters. We may also be trying to make a outfit that's something it wasn't intended to be. Bigger guides could also change the action of the rod.

What, exactly, are we planning on "casting", with this rod ? Are we talking jigs, or minnow/float setups, or ??? ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

First of let me say that I am in the process of building my first rod. I am making an extreme Ultra Light rod form a 7' 9" 3 weight fly rod blank. In all retrospect the first guide or butt wrap guide should be about half the size of the reel used on the rod. One of the things you need to consider is whether you want to do it or have a rod builder make the repair for you.

If you are tlaking about replacing the guides I would have a builder do it. The reason being is they already know how and can give you the best advise. Another thing is taking the old guides and wraps off. When you take the old guides and thread wraps off you have to be carefull not to scratch the blank. If you scratch the blank then it is really no longer good to use. It will weaken the rod a great deal. The other reason being, they will know where the guide should be to give you the best casting distance. Most likely if you change one guide then the rest will need to be change.

The problem with most and all factory built rods are they are built on the same standard. This means they are design to function but not to the best they can be. If you want the maximum casting distance you need to have the rod static tested to have the guides in the proper place. There have been advancements in rod building as the New Guide placement which dictates the placement of guides and the sizes. You no longer want a rod built that each guide gets smaller as you progess towards the tip. You want the first 3 or 4 guides to step down then the rest the same. for example a 20, 16, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, then the tip top on a 8 foot rod.

If you like you can check out the rod building website for more great information. http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2 You can check out there libary which explains the new guide concept.

Mike P.

Post Thanks / Like

The spline for the rod is backwards unless you plan on putting bigger casting guides on instead of spinning.
    I took a rod building course a few years ago from the rod builder's guild and loved every minute of it. The website that Prybis mentioned is their site and full of info. The rod builder's are a lot like crappie.com members- willing to help with ideas and techniques. Also, you can contact some of them and get a custom rod built.

Post Thanks / Like

another website for the guild is www.rodguild.com . The conclave is in Minnesota this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, guys....That some interesting info on the rod building......

crappiepappy,

I probably won't do it, but I read something in another thread about changing the line guides on a rod....I was more curious than anything....But the rod building sounds interesting...I'm gonna check it out.....DemoMan

Post Thanks / Like

those B N M 12 ft rods the bobber stop barely goes thoug the top eye its a good idea to change the last three
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

painterfish,

Yeah, I guess it's best to use it for what it was "designed" for....DemoMan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast