Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Question Circle Hooks

Howdy! Does anyone on this board use circle hooks when fishing minnows under a cork? Read an interesting article about Daiichi circle bleeding bait hooks. Stated the fish just hook themselves when they bite, all you have to do is reel 'em in. Nothing more frustrating than casting out the bobber and minnow out about 2 ft deep, then start rigging up the other reel, turn around and float missing. Set the hook and the bobber and minnow come flying back at you straight at eye level and kiss you on the forehead!!! Gotta be a better way!!!!! So does any body have any experience with the circle hooks (brand, size, etc)?
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

I've read articles in In-Fisherman about fishermen using circle hooks for panfish....Try it and see how you like em....Let us know....DemoMan

Post Thanks / Like

I fish with a guy who uses them for crappie. The reason I don't is that circle hooks hook the fish in the corner of the mouth. Any crappie a pound or larger hooked in the corner of the mouth would probably rip the mouth. With the straight hook I have a far better chance of hooking the big one in the roof of the mouth..........

I must say though, he rarely missed a fish.........

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to Crappie fishing I do not think the old gold wire hooks can be beat. I like circle hooks for catfish.
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

I havent used them for Crappie, and agree with the previous post from tarheel.

However I do use them on a regular basis in the 5/0 size baited with 6-8 inch live shad for catfishing. It seems the fish take the bait and as they swim away the hook rolls to the corner of the mouth then buries the point through the corner of the mouth giving you a "hook up". Not mush of a need to set a hook. This made for rather easy unhooking of even a large flopping fish so I can get it put away and back to fishing rigt away.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imexpat2
    I havent used them for Crappie, and agree with the previous post from tarheel.

However I do use them on a regular basis in the 5/0 size baited with 6-8 inch live shad for catfishing. It seems the fish take the bait and as they swim away the hook rolls to the corner of the mouth then buries the point through the corner of the mouth giving you a "hook up". Not mush of a need to set a hook. This made for rather easy unhooking of even a large flopping fish so I can get it put away and back to fishing rigt away.
    I definately agree that circle hooks are the way to go for catfishing. I switched about 2 years ago and increased my hooked rate from about 50% of my bites to about 95%!!!! Also, they never swallowed a circle hook.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Crappie Dog .....

Quote Originally Posted by crappie dog
    Howdy! Does anyone on this board use circle hooks when fishing minnows under a cork? Read an interesting article about Daiichi circle bleeding bait hooks. Stated the fish just hook themselves when they bite, all you have to do is reel 'em in. Nothing more frustrating than casting out the bobber and minnow out about 2 ft deep, then start rigging up the other reel, turn around and float missing. Set the hook and the bobber and minnow come flying back at you straight at eye level and kiss you on the forehead!!! Gotta be a better way!!!!! So does any body have any experience with the circle hooks (brand, size, etc)?
    Ain't it always when you look away, turn your back, or divert your attention to doing something else ..... that you get a bite :D

There's a lot more going on, when using a bobber/minnow rig, than you might think :

Bluegill are notorius for grabbing a minnow and quickly swimming off, even pulling some larger bobbers out of sight.
    There's also the small Bass & Crappie that do the same. You're usually not going to get a hook into many of any of these fish.
    You should also NOT jerk immediately upon noticing a "float missing" ... reel up the slack until the rod tip starts to bend - then set the hook.
    You might try going to a slightly smaller hook, so as to allow fish to engulf hook along with minnow. I use #1 light wire Aberdeen hooks, most of the time. But, I've gone down to #4's ... and even used small Kahle hooks, when I start thinking that the fish are just "nipping", and not really taking the minnow into their mouths all the way.
    I've never used circle hooks, and don't really use minnows all that much anymore. So, if I had an inkling of interest, in finding out if they'd work ... I'd buy a pack (equal in size/gap to a #4 Aberdeen) and give them a trial run. If they worked, I'd get more ... if not, I'm only out a buck or two (and you could always use them for Bluegill or Catfish ) .... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. When I try it I will post and let you know.
    YOU ARE EITHER PART OF THE PROBLEM....OR PART OF THE SOLUTION!! CHOOSE YOUR SIDE!

Post Thanks / Like

I use circle hooks exclusively when spider rig trolling. You have to discipline yourself to not set the hook. Downside is the price of the hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

I use circle hooks sometimes when fishing for crappie, could also be used for walleye. I use a #6 brass hook when fishing minnows for crappie--would never want to use anything different!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast