Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-way radio

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2-way radio

i would like to add a 2-way radio to my boat, for emergencies. In a day where we depend on cell phones, and for the most part they do have good coverage, i have found myself in some areas that did not have coverage, and felt sort of vulnerable. I would like to here from you all with regards to brands, models, handheld and portable, or stationary. Pro's and Con's please.

Thanks
    Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2-way radio

I have thought about that myself, but are you talking about ship to shore, or
    something else. I've thought about just a C B radio. Will a ship to shore be
    useful on any lake, or just the main rivers and ocean ?.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

they work on the same frequency - I have a hand held uniden that does real well have talked to other boats as much as 12 miles away
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Depends

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    I have thought about that myself, but are you talking about ship to shore, or
    something else. I've thought about just a C B radio. Will a ship to shore be
    useful on any lake, or just the main rivers and ocean ?.

srm
    A VHF (what you are calling a ship to shore) would only be good if others in the area used them. Most pleasure boaters and Marinas today use VHF radios and monitor Channel 16. We towboaters are required by law to monitor 16 (hailing and destress) & 13 (ship to ship navigation) at all. I have personally assisted pleasure vessel on numerous occasions.

So if you are gonna be out on a navigable waterway I would go with VHF. A Hand held is only gonna ge out about 2 miles under the best conditions. I have one myself that I keep In my boat and I have not had any trouble contacting some one. Just remember no radio is gonna be any good if some one isn't listening. Hope this helps.
    :D
    Last edited by Wiskers; 03-01-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confused

Quote Originally Posted by crap-king
    they work on the same frequency - I have a hand held uniden that does real well have talked to other boats as much as 12 miles away
    crab-king I'm confused. Are you saying that a CB radio and a VHF radio operate on the same frequency?

Post Thanks / Like

my fingers and my brain don't work together to well I meant to say they operate the same way - but my hand held works much further than 2 miles - I cant remember the model but it is the blue and white uniden - I want to say it is a Uniden Aqua - but you are right if no one is listening it don't make much difference - I got mine for fishing in-shore around Morehead City - Emerald Isle area in NC
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 way radio

So how much do they sell for?, are these the ones that they sell in pair's.
    I wouldn't need but one right?.

srm

Post Thanks / Like

THanks for your replies. I am looking at just a handheld, 5 watts peak power. rechargable battery and a 12 volt plug as well. Just something to stick in the boat, in the instance that i (GOD forbid) have an emergency. The one i am looking for is on sale at BPS right now, humminbird brand, $99.00 after the $20.00 mail in rebate. It also will monitor weather channels, which would be good if you are on a big lake and you see a storm coming that you may not like. Basically, i am just looking for an insurance policy to keep in the dry box on the boat for those what if's.

Chris
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up One's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by spider rig man
    So how much do they sell for?, are these the ones that they sell in pair's.
    I wouldn't need but one right?.

srm
    spider rig man if you'r fish'n Pickwick go with a VHF. I probably have the same unit that crab-king does (Uniden Atlantis 250). It is blue & white and is water proof. I comes with a wall charger, a car charger, rechargeable battery, spare battery holder (loads with AA's) and a mounting bracket. I bought it from a buddy of mine that owns the business that does all of our radio & radar work. I think I gave $99.00 for it.

One of the features that I really like about it is, it has a weather radio built in and you can set it to alarm when a weather watch or warning is broadcast. I keep it in the house when the weather's bad just for the alarm feature. Good little unit but I have to say I've never gotten out over about 2 miles with mine and 2 miles is considered excellent for a hand held. Most hand helds only operate at about 5 watts peak power and that's gonna get you around 2 miles. If crab-kings gets out to 12 miles he better hold on to that puppy cause he's got a good'n! :D

Let me warn you about 1 thing if you get a VHF. On a VHF most have 2 and some have 3 setting (USA - International - Canadian). Keep your radio set on USA. If you don't on some of the channels you'll be able to transmit but not recieve and Visa Versa!

Always transmit a distress call on Channel 16 USA. All Towboats, USCG, Locks and Dams and most Marinas monitor this channel. If that doesn't work try channel 13 if you see a towboat. I guarantee he'll have one on 13 if he doesn't want to get run over!
    Last edited by Wiskers; 03-02-2007 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

down at santee the coast guard monitors 16 to. right after i put a radio on my boat i got into a chat with a lady that was obviously partaking of the amber and i got a stern warning from the coast guard to move to another channel, that 16 was for monitoring and emergencys.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast