Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Stabil Fuel Stabilizer?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stabil Fuel Stabilizer?

I used to get my engine repair done at a Marine Technical Institute where they teach marine mechanics. The instructor told me of a demonstration that he does at the beginning of every school year.
    He said that he takes 2 clean baby food jars and fills them with fresh gas. One he adds a couple drops of Stabil fuel stabilizer and the other he does nothing. He puts lids on them and sets them on a shelf for the duration of the school year.
    He said within a month or two the untreated fuel starts turning a different color and by the end of the school year it had already started to gel!
    The jar treated with Stabil was as fresh as the day he poured it. This was a very important lesson that he wanted his students to know and understand.
    Do I use Stabil in my '88 Mercury 35? You better believe it!
    2-stroke or 4-stroke, doesn't matter, fuel is fuel. I use it in my lawnmowers and weedeater too. They start up fine each year!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the difference it made first hand. I knew I was going to need carb rebuilds, but I didn't know when I was going to be able to get it done. The boat sat there for a couple weeks then I put Stabil in the tank. I finally got them rebuilt 2 or so months later. The mechanic told me the boat would not start at all. They flushed the fuel out of the line and it was dirt brown. He also said it cleared right up in a minute. I never ran the motor after I put the Stabil in the tank. I was also told yesterday by the mechanic you need to run your motor for 5 minutes every two weeks. He said the fuel will evaporate out and the oil is what will varnish.
    Joe

-----------------------------
    Still learning this crappie thing.
    -----------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

I've used it for years and am a firm believer in the stuff. I never have any problems starting my boat after its been sitting for 3 months every winter. It's cheaper than the alternative.

Post Thanks / Like

Slabbandit
    I hope you are right!! I treated my toon with it before putting it up this year. It will be a few more months before I get it out again.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time in my boat, lawn mower, weed eater, tiller and reserve gas cans. Everything starts easily as it should.

I buy the bigger bottle to make it more cost effective and it's lasted me for quite a while.
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

I also am a true believer, after rebuilding an old 70 horse Mercury carbs I started to used the stuff. No problems (Nada) since then. all small gas engines gets the treatment. I have had several boats and motors since the old 70 horse Mercury, Good stuff!
    THE BANDIT
    1 Corinthians 2:2.----Nothing else counts!!
    "This one thing I know, and that is Jesus Christ and Him crucified."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DrPepper, If you let it run a little while and get into the carbs before storing it it should start fairly easily.
    CATCH A BIG-UN