Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Question

What makes you decide to use 4lb or 6lb test or bigger? Does the bright chartreuse line scare crappie? I want to use it because of how good you can see it but scared the fish would be just as scared lol.. Just wondering what makes y'all decide wht line to use?

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing to note is that most lines are stronger than what the label says. Most 4# is really 6#. Most 6# is closer to 8#, and on you go.

After many years of fishing light line, I think I can land almost anything with 4# line. I've caught carp and catfish in the low to mid teens on 4#. Got a 7lb bass on 2# line.

In really snaggy places, a heavier line will keep you from losing fish and baits, but I still prefer lighter lines.
    Likes Eagle 1, Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 4 on everything but my trolling rods and I like the fall rate. I use hi vis on my jig poles or dock shooting, and it does not affect the fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that some folks use heavier lines mainly to straight out snagged hooks instead of loosing a jig. That usually means they are fishing in brush or timber. For most open water crappie fishing, 4# test is probably sufficient. I prefer to go the 2# route, but I'm not fishing snaggy water conditions.

And if you are concerned about visibility tie on a 3' fluorocarbon leader. Gives you the best of both worlds. Myself, I don't necessarily buy into the thought that crappie are line shy, but I still use a fluoro leader as an insurance/confidence edge.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I read an interesting article recently in a saltwater mag. The author (a professional guide who regularly catches BIG offshore fish) believed you should pick one brand of line and stick with it for all of your fishing. Whether it's Stren or Trilene or whatever, he believed that by going with one brand, you really learned the capabilities of that line. You learned what knots worked best with it, and how much pressure you could put on a fish with it.
    Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish vicious pan fish hi viz in 6# when casting and tightlining and 8# when pulling cranks. I've never noticed a difference between hi viz and clear mono. I like it because I can see it and a lot times can tell I've got a bite by seeing it before I feel it. I use the heavier pound test because I fish a lake with lots of trees and stumps and it helps from losing lures.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

I use camo, clear, hi-vis, and red line on my longline rods. Helps untangle tangles faster. If it's to bad, I just cut n retie.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a great point. I've never really thought about it but I've fished Stren my whole life (other than braid)and I know it's capabilities very well. I know what to expect from it and how much pressure I can put on a fish. Personally, I use 6# and would not go down. If anything, I would go up. I fish a lot of structure and line gets frayed. Great point. I'd like to read that article.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I read an interesting article recently in a saltwater mag. The author (a professional guide who regularly catches BIG offshore fish) believed you should pick one brand of line and stick with it for all of your fishing. Whether it's Stren or Trilene or whatever, he believed that by going with one brand, you really learned the capabilities of that line. You learned what knots worked best with it, and how much pressure you could put on a fish with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 pound Berkeley Nanofil because I fish a lot over brush and it helps me pull the jig off cover. Here is something I caught while Crappie fishing.
    Pro Angler Crappie rod and a 1/16th jig/minnow. Took 20 minutes to get her in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

First off most of the time the hi vis line works fine. As for as the size it depends on how you are fishing. I'm casting a pole most of the time and I use 4 and 6 most of the time. Anything bigger just doesn't work for what I do. Now I know people that use 8 and 10 doing the same thing and it works fine for them so just try different sizes and see what works for you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast