Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from NC with a question

Post Thanks / Like

Default New from NC with a question

Hello, Darrell here from the foothills of NC. I have question for this group, I have been thinking about getting another Aluminum Boat. I recently passed my 1985 1860 Lowe River Jon on to my SIL, and have been kayak fishing since. Sometimes I think about getting another boat. The two main problems with the old Lowe bat where that I was having trouble raising the 40 hp Yamaha and getting it locked in order to put it on the trailer, and I was getting tired of stepping over the livewell to move from the drivers seat to the front deck to use the trolling motor. I have been trying to decide on what type of boat would suit me best. I like an open floor plan, I don't really feel the need of a high front deck, and I don't want to get in a position to have to swap seats between the gas motor and the troller.

I have put some thought into the 16 ft. sticksteer panfish boats, I would like any opinions that anyone would like to share. I mostly cast and retrieve when I am fishing, I will be on some big water (inshore and sort ICW runs) but only in decent weather with manageable winds. These would be better suited to a bigger boat, but I also want to be able to use it smaller lakes and in coastal rivers. I would like to be able to pull it easily behind a smaller truck or SUV. After fishing 6 yrs in a yak I have figure out how to pare down the stuff I take with me, and I am not really worried about speed so much. My main concern is how a stick steer boat would handle with one person sitting up front? I am a big guy 275lbs.

any thoughts?

Thanks
    Darrell
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrell .... I moved this to the Main Forum so that you would get the most exposure for your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Darrell .... I moved this to the Main Forum so that you would get the most exposure for your questions.

Thank you I appreciate it.

Darrell

Post Thanks / Like

smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

dbeam, here is a link to a discussion of stick steer boats on the Louisiana forum. It covers a lot of territory.
    "gene"

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/louis...steer-console/
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes "G", dbeam LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 14ft Alumacraft Crappie Jon. I installed stick steer with a 15hp Merc 4 stroke with CMC trim and tilt. This rig has no problem getting on plane with my neighbor who weighs in at 315 lbs.

I love my Crappie Jon, especially after adding the stick steer. Plenty of room for 2 old folks and don't have to swap seats to run. Here be a pic. I like pics with words. Pics Corrects me Englis ( but so do me wife).

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes chaunc, dbeam, crappie flash LIKED above post

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom, show him your toon too.
    Likes dbeam LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S10CHEVY View Post
    Tom, show him your toon too.
    Old folks boat. 16x72. Several members have this Pondtoon. It is more like a tunnel hull than a pontoon.

Last edited by Cane Pole; 12-17-2016 at 02:20 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes pescador, dbeam, Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stick steer all the way.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the stick boats a lot, and owned one in the past. My biggest complaint was the rough ride in windy conditions. I think it's Sea Ray(a member) that has a a shock absorber seat that would have eliminated that problem. A 25hp Johnson and a 1648 basic boat planed at a low speed and ran out at 22. Made 6 or 7 trips on a 6 gallon tank. Mine had no storage. Excellent boat for comfort and ease of fishing by yourself, and mine was easy to put on the trailer.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast