Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bait casting for Crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait casting for Crappie.

If you are having trouble bait casting for Crappie you need a super light rod and reel.Bass Pro Shops sells crappie reels,make sure you get the $44.99 version,the others are terrible,and purchase a 6' light bait casting rod,you can buy one on Amazon for about $25.99.Super light line is also a must,go with a 2 to 4 lb.mono. To cast a 1/32 jig just put a small weight about six or seven inches above the lure and tie on a slip bobber.You won't lose any action with the jig because it's suspended vertically.For a Lure that is light, use a small weight once again, far up the line to help you cast,but the lure won't loose any action because the weight is so far up.A bait casting rod is the same,as a spin casting rod when it comes to casting a very small bait.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The weight above the light jigs defeats the purpose of using a light jig. I use a light jig so I get a slower fall. Added weight speeds up the fall speed.
    Likes Cane Pole, crp4570 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a weighted bobber. U can buy them or make UR own.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes crp4570, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Other than (you can), what would be the advantage of using a casting outfit as opposed to using spinning?
    And, Chaunc's comment makes perfect sence to this beginner. Rather than add weight, why not just use a heavier jig?

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed of fall is what generates the strike, sometimes. I have every type of reel that we could possibly use, including automatic fly reels for dipping. If I want to make a presentation with a 1/32 jig I will be using a light weight spinning rig. If I had no other choice but to use a BC or not fish, I would use a variation on one of the already mentioned methods. I only have 2 BC reels and rods that will behave with 1/8oz and anything under that is an exercise in frustration, and if it's windy the effort would be futile. BC reels have their place Crappie fishing but it isn't casting light offerings. Just my opinions for what they're worth.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes sinkermaker LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said