Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things Iv learned Shooting Docks this year.

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Things Iv learned Shooting Docks this year.

Iv been shooting dock since before Wally Marshall made it popular. But this year I have, thanks to new equipment available specifically for shooting docks, tried some different stuff and am very happy with my results.

First Line. Ive tried a lot of line and mono really twists and tangles and does not lay on the spools very good. This year I tried NanoFill. This stuff has no memory and does not tangle around the end of the rod tip or twist at all. Number 1 choice. Great stuff but is pricey. I lile the Clear mist which is actually White and is very visible to see those lite bites.

Second Rods. I used to shoot with a Crappie Max 5 foot rod for several years and was very happy with it. I tried some 7 foot rods this year on the advise of CrappiePappy and others. Ding Ding Winner Winner Chicken Dinner. Love the longer rods. 2 rods in particular. Ugly Stick Elite has 2 rods I love. USESP701M and USESP701MH. Ugly StikĀ® Elite Spinning Rod | Ugly StikĀ® 7 foot, 1 piece spinning rods, Medium and Medium Heavy with Fast Tip. Either of these rods work superbly for shooting docks. I also have the same rod in Medium Lite and it works but not as aggressively as the Med and Med Heavy. Totally recommend these rods.
    I also have been using a discontinued Outlaw 7 foot 2 piece rod. Medium with fast tip. The long and short of it is I look for a stiff rod with a fast tip to scoot those jigs a long way .

Third Reels. I have always bought small spinning reels and thats what iv used for shooting. This year I bought a large spinning reel with a big spool. Love the larger spool for line management and fewer loops in the line.

Baits. I think nearly any crappie jig will make a good dock bait. Keeping the body up on the hook is always a problem. Iv tried some a lot of different style baits and no ground breaking success. The force of shooting the jig caused the body to come loose. Super Glue still seems to be the best solution for keeping the body in place. Id like to hear from others on this situation. 2 baits iv had good luck with is the Joker and Shad Pole Curly Tail.

Lets hear some feedback and tips on dock shooting
    Last edited by barrelslime; 11-10-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
    Likes Slab, tahoe 50, chucktx, PDog LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would add is :

Try weedless jigheads.

I've never really had much of a problem with solid body plastics coming down on the jig hook from "shooting" docks. I've only "had" to use glue on hollow body tubes, which I seldom use anymore since switching to solid body plastics.

The Panfish Assassin 1.5" Tiny Shad has always been a favorite of mine, when dock shooting.
    Likes barrelslime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your post, a very interesting read. I really did like the part about line, have that same problem my self. I like no longer than a 6' fast tip rod. I am a rather short fellow, longer rods seam to be hard to control. I just bought a ESP 6' rod that Crappiepappy recommended sometime back. I to like the ugly stick rods my number 2 go to, I have a BNM sharp shooter in 5'6" that is number 1. I glue my baits up before I go out, I have a bunch in different styles and known colors. Again thanks for your input. By the way I used to live in Lindenhurst, its by Deep Lake. I worked in Antioch at Raymond Chevy olds.
    dave
    in currituck
    Likes barrelslime LIKED above post

barrelslime is offline Moderator White Bass/Striper/Hybrid Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I should note the rods I listed are the ones I really like. I have bought and tried Probly 15 diffrent rods this year, many specifically for dock shooting, and have not fallen in love with any of them. I have no alligence to ugly stick the 2 rods just work for me. As mentioned don't be afraid of a medium heavy rod as it will fling a 1/16th oz jig a long way.
    Another thing on reels. If you use a large spool reel and nanofill line, put some mono backing on the spool as nanofill is to expensive to spool the whole reel.
    Personal Best 17 1/2"
    " Let us endeavor so to live, that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a dab of glue to help hold plastics upon the jig head. Did that for the longest. After going to the double cross jig head a few years ago I pretty much don't use it anymore.

Name:  double cross.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  9.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago my local Academy store had there 4lb nanofil on clearance for $3 a spool. I purchased 10 spools and it is some great line. It took me awhile to find a good knot for it since it is so slick.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info as I have yet to shoot docks. Hopefully soon as I get my boat I will travel and find a lake with good docks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes barrelslime, sinkermaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
    I used to use a dab of glue to help hold plastics upon the jig head. Did that for the longest. After going to the double cross jig head a few years ago I pretty much don't use it anymore.

Name:  double cross.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  9.6 KB
    I just aquired some of those and they are on my list of things to try.......
    Personal Best 17 1/2"

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on NanoFil and the Double Cross jig head is great. Those hooks will bite and hold soft plastics extremely well.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Good information. I have very limited experience with shooting docks in my area mainly because our redneck carpenter dock builders REALLY REALLY REALLY love them some cross braces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast