HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vertical Jigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical Jigging

I actually have to questions: 1) When vertical fishing, how much action do you add to your presentation? 2) Do you use marabou jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

I use very little action, basically just twitching the jig and I do not use marabou, strictly soft plastic on a jig head, and very small, 1/64 ounce or lighter.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I don't vertical jig much at all. I do "Vertical Cast" in some circumstances, though. This is what I mean : Crappie Pappy Article

If I'm casting to deep cover (>15' deep) I "may" occasionally give the jig a little extra jiggle a few times on the way back in/up ... but, rarely (if ever) do so when Vertical Casting.

I use weedless jigheads (except when using any "trolling" method), so most of my jigs have plastic bodies attached. The biggest exception is when casting Roadrunners, which are almost always "marabou" ... or occasionally when trolling or pushing I may use a marabou jig.

I could have had weedless marabou jigs custom made, but figured it would be easier & faster to change color(s) by using a weedless jighead & plastics. It's more of a convenience thing than a confidence thing, as I have no doubts about the fish catching ability of a marabou jig.

jigfisherx is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General, MO Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to let the fish tell you what the want. Sometimes dead still other times a little twitch. I agree about soft plastics. They have so much natural action they are hard to beat. We don't usually vertical jig with curly tails or paddle tails. Try Bobby Garland baby shad or Wally Marshall jokers to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    God bless Charlie Brewer and Bobby Garland.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The fish will tell you what they want. Most of the time, just dropping it down and attempting to hold it still is all that you need to do. Lately, for me....90% of the fish I've been catching have bit once the jig has reached its depth and I've gave it a little pop, raising it maybe 6".
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

not much action at all . a bump every 10 sec. or so . I have found that holding it as still as possible works as well if not better some days . Do not be surprised that sometimes 30-60 sec. will trigger a bite . marabou is good . I like it in clear water in smaller sizes on 4 lb . test .Most of my jigs are made by crappie logic (site sponsor )and Bobby Garland . throw in a supply of Slider grubs and roadrunners and you got it . Biggest mistake I made was not using small jigs early . I now carry 1/100-----1/8 oz .

Post Thanks / Like

Usually have a better bite either still or on the drop. I use all sizes I can to make sure I'm not missing a better bite, 1/48th oz #8 hook with 1.25" soft plastic, to 1/8oz #2 with a 3" tube. You've got to mix it up depending on the water depth that you are on and the mood of the fish.

I drop a jig down to the depth I'm expecting to find fish, say 8', hold it there a bit, then move the jig around to the other side of the tree or structure, raise it a foot or two, and let it drop again, then drop it to 10', move to the other side of tree/structure and raise/drop it again. Maybe drop it down to 12', or bring it back up to 6'. You just have to try different things until something works or you can see a pattern.

Marabou works, my dad and I used to use it a lot, but plastics are quick and easy.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hold it completely still because you can't.

Post Thanks / Like

I vertical with a 1/4 oz. Big Head jig. I start about 2 ft. above the structure and work my way down. I try to just hold the jig still but you can`t with waves, wind, and boat action. I like the Mid South tube jig myself but any will work. I have not tried any curly tail grubs I use them for casting. Sometimes they want it still and other days they like movement. The fish will let you know. Just don`t give change colors. Change action and have fun. It is the easiest way for my wife fish other than trolling. I really like one pole and feeling the THUMP.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX
    Likes blue-jig, chimneyman LIKED above post
    Thanks Anchor Mouse thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

We caught them by holding the jig as still as possible. But can't hold it perfectly still so I guess holding it still as you can allows just right amount of movement for them. When I tried hoping it - nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast