Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Go-to rig for young children?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go-to rig for young children?

Haven't posted in a while... too busy lurking I suppose! Anyways, I will be taking my younger children fishing for the first time to a local farm pond. I've fished this pond before. Its got big cats in the deep but has a respectable crappie & sunny population. Obviously we will be bank fishing.

Children are from first grade on up. I've used 4 and 6# test with a small jig baited with either mealworms or corn, bobber about 2' off the hook. If the fish are biting, this usually works. But I am open to other ideas. This will be a cast and wait kinda deal.

Open to any suggestions. I want to keep 'em interested, even if the fish are small, at least they see some action!

Post Thanks / Like

might want to replace Jig with a long shank hook ,might make it easier to get deep taken hook out.
    I thought fish trembled when they heard my name.......then I heard the laughter

Post Thanks / Like

I take my son and daughter who are 8 and 5.We fish from a boat most of the time and for them the best bet seems to be minnows,they catch fish and have fun but don't do near as well with artificial stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

single hook "Rooster Tails" on a steady retrieve will nail the sunfish and green carp. I never caught a crappie on one though. No worries about flying treble hooks. A tube jig under a slip cork does well slowly retrieved or let the wind and ripples move the rig. Let the waves make the jig dance. Still get the sinking bobber excitement.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Captn160,

You stated ..."Children are from first grade on up. I've used 4 and 6# test with a small jig baited with either mealworms or corn, bobber about 2' off the hook. If the fish are biting, this usually works. But I am open to other ideas. This will be a cast and wait kinda deal. Open to any suggestions. I want to keep 'em interested,"

When I was an Elementary School Principal, I had a "Hooked on Fishing Group called PYP. (Positive Young People.) I still sometimes take cub scouts, youth groups or grandchildren fishing. 99% of the time they have success with a slip float rig. I use hook snaps so they can change lures, colors and lure sizes quickly. You can fish these rigs from 2 feet through 35 feet by adjusting the rubber float stop. Keep them interested by making their own teardrop spoons and raising their own red wigglers for bluegills. (Here are links to help the youth make their own Bluegill spoons and how to raise red wigglers for bait. That will keep them interested.) Hope this helps you some.

Mike

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/jig-t...-jigs-pinmins/

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-...8=#post3052792

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/live-...08=#post811159

Basic slip Float Rig

Name:  Basic Rig and dropper.jpg
Views: 11601
Size:  14.2 KB

Slip Float Rig with an extended 1.5" tiny bamboo arm to get the top lure away from the main line. Run the main line through the bamboo arm, tie on the hook snap with a palomar knot , then run the line back through the bamboo arm and down to the second hook snap. Use the heavier weight on the bottom hook snap.

Name:  My Jig Rig.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  52.4 KB
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 10-16-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with a minners or meal worm.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. Plan to take my girls out to the pond later today. Bought a cup of mealies plus I think I have some canned corn on the pantry shelves.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ship. First time fishing, its hard to beat a slip bobber set-up. Simple to use, effective, and gives the kids something to watch. When they get older lures work, keeps them busy casting, however without success from time to time, they lose interest quickly. Every year a buddy and I take a group of disadvantaged youth from his church fishing to some private strip pits. They used to belong to a sportsman's club and were well stocked. Bought by a retired school administrator and his wife. We do a shore lunch and take them home again. The bus ride can be just as entertaining as the fishing...
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post