Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling question

I know its time for trolling to get good. I have a small boat not big enough for two in front or two in back. Has any one ever tried to do a spider rig off of front of the boat and long line off of back of the boat at the same time? I'm new to the whole experience and only tried trolling once off of the back and caught 5 when I did so. would like to take my son out and try again. Thanks in advance

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You "could" spider rig or long line troll from both ends of the boat ... but, I'm not sure about long line trolling out the back while spider rigging out the front, for the simple reason of "speed" ... or actually the lack of it (for the long liner).

Spider rigging is usually done at a slow crawl, while long line trolling is done at higher rates of speed.

For explanation purposes only : consider these speeds to be "correct" -

Spider rig: 0.2 - 0.4mph
    Pushing jigs: 0.5 - 0.8mph
    Long line: 0.9 - 1.5mph
    Pulling cranks - 1.6 - 2.0mph

Now, that may be splitting hairs over the terminology of the methods you named, but I'm just trying to explain what my comments in the first paragraph mean.
    Likes bryanrutledge19 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Should have no problem. Just have to go fast enough that you long line poles stay off the bottom so that means you'll need enough weight on spider poles to keep them down. I long line out the front and stick a pole or two straight out the front of the boat spider rigging when the bite is slow.

You can fish out the front and some one out the back and both of you long line. Me and my old buddy back in South Carolina got started doing this in a 12 ft John boat. He was in front on a piece of 3/4 in plywood we put on front and mounted a seat with rod holders mounted at his feet 3 on each side. Then I sat in the middle with a 2x4 across the middle with me facing backwards and I had 6 rod holders on it. We easily fished 12 rods total.

The front guys inside two rods had to be let out by hand so as not to cast over my rods but we caught as many or more crappie than anyone else on lake wateree with our small cheaply rigged boat. Lol our first 12 ft rods were the telescope types that slide down in side themselves and we taped a reel on them. I would do this before a made one person fish a different way.

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly can. My partner and I have won and placed in several tournaments doing exactly that.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to troll slowly from the front and the sides without to much of a problem.

I bought some clamp on rod holders and attached them to a 12' Jon boat. I used 12' rods (two at front and two at the sides) and kept the boat anywhere from .2 to .8 MPH. I placed the rod holders within reach of each seat but as far forward possible so as to make it easier to watch the tips. I use line counter reels and rig a 1/4 ounce sinker above a swivel with a 1" leader with a 1/16 ounce jig. You could easily rig a two-bait setup too but I keep it simple. The reels ensure I am at the depth I want and I have a portable fish finder to know ge depth and structure. Keeps hang ups at a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time. Push and pull--push 8 long rods up front, and pull 2 - 4 out of the back. I normally go .3 to 1 mph depending on battery strength, and wind strength and direction. The only problem is that I can only look one direction at a time. I always feel like I am missing a bite when watching the front poles, and vice-versa when watching the back poles. However, I am always pulling at least 2, when pushing out front. I catch a bunch of fish, a lot of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen guys spider rigging out the front and back at the same time. Seemed to work for them.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for all of your inputs I will take everything into consideration and try some kinda of method that works for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bryanrutledge19 View Post
    thanks guys for all of your inputs I will take everything into consideration and try some kinda of method that works for us.
    We fish one person in the front with 4 14' rods. 2 toward the center and 2 toward the right side. My partner sits in the back with four 14' poles on the left side of the boat. We cover almost a 28 feet swath and catch fish on every pole.