Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harder and harder to find a great spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harder and harder to find a great spinning reel.

I got Ardent 1000 c force spinning reel a couple of days ago. Don't waist your money on one. The stem is short and the bail wire sticks way out so the bail hits your fingers when you reel it! I mean really! Has attention to detail become the very last thing these new manufacturers think of! Also after about 10 minutes of fishing a beetle spin the reel developed a knock.

I should have gotten a Pflueger Supreme for the same money or a president for half the money and I would have gotten twice the reel.

I use to fish with shimano 1000s but they aren't what they used to be. I have 2 daiwa pro team 2000s that were available at bass pro and both of the anti reverse stopped working. When you set the hook they would turn backwards and you would end up with a big flippin mess and usually a lost fish.

Does anyone besides Pflueger make a great spinning reel anymore?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Of all the ones I have used in the last few years my President is the best. There may be one out there better but it's going to be a lot more expensive.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Of all the ones I have used in the last few years my President is the best. There may be one out there better but it's going to be a lot more expensive.
    X2!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes SeaRay, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to not like a silky smooth reel that lasts that costs 50 bucks! My shimanos aren't that old and they feel like I'm grinding corn with them. I have a president a supreme and an Arbor and I like them all. The only thing is the 25 is the size of a 1000 and I'm looking for something about like the daiwa 2000, thus the Ardent 1000, I won't make that mistake twice!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All my reels are Daiwa's, and they are still flawless after years of use. I have the following:

Two SS 700 (Both are over 20 years old.) Current retail price is around $120.

Two Tierra's. They're 5-10 years old and cost $115 each.

Two Fuego's. They're also 5-10 years old. They originally retailed for $250, but I got them on close out for $99 each.

Shimano also makes excellent reels. I would not use anything but Daiwa or Shimano.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use cheap reels (under 50 dolla). There is a high probability they will end up in the lake. Resupply using Cabela Bucks. I got some of most brands, but I like the Ultralite Quntam the best. Quntam was recommended by Grizz Jig Big Chief.

Besides, the Quantam color matches my boat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you is what I use as I have no experience with any newer reels. An older President, not current but last production, and an out of production Diawa Capricorn. THE smoothest reel I have ever owned and they can only be found on ebay or such as that. Has served me well enough I bought a second one on ebay last year. Was about $85 new. I have what I need so I haven't shopped in a few years and you're not making me look forward to the experience.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy the Pflueger President reels that we're using, very smooth and flawless functioning.
    Likes SeaRay, Crestliner08, kycreek, Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Have three casting reels on my deck all SS 700.Bullet proof

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rdrunner View Post
    Have three casting reels on my deck all SS 700.Bullet proof

It's an old reel, but there still making them. That says a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast