Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig Poles ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Jig Poles ?

I am interested in getting set up to jig pole fish. I have always used conventional rod and reels for my crappie fishing - in fact, due to the heavy cover, most of the time we used 5' rods. Now, living on a totally different type of lake - wide open with "bou-cou's" of stumps and mostly 15-20 feet deep. Maybe we need to switch to jig poles! (Hey! a guy can never have too much fishing stuff right? :D ) But, before getting off on the wrong foot, and buying the "wrong" stuff or setting it up wrong, I would like to get a little- make that a lot - of advise.
    So anyway guys, here I am again begging information, direction, and help - Please?

Ken McDaniel
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc77777
    I am interested in getting set up to jig pole fish. I have always used conventional rod and reels for my crappie fishing - in fact, due to the heavy cover, most of the time we used 5' rods. Now, living on a totally different type of lake - wide open with "bou-cou's" of stumps and mostly 15-20 feet deep. Maybe we need to switch to jig poles! (Hey! a guy can never have too much fishing stuff right? :D ) But, before getting off on the wrong foot, and buying the "wrong" stuff or setting it up wrong, I would like to get a little- make that a lot - of advise.
    So anyway guys, here I am again begging information, direction, and help - Please?

Ken McDaniel
    [email protected]
    Hey Ken, you should add some long poles to your arsenal. 9 or 10 footers are the easiest sizes to handle in these, and seem to be more sensitive than the 12 or 14 footers. You can still use these shorter lengths to Spider rig or drift effectively too.

Many people will reccomend B & M on this board, and several here are sponsored by them. I think they are good poles, but they break way too easy for my shallow pockets. I personally have used most all of them on the market. For the money/quality ratio, the Outlaw poles are hard to beat. I don't get anything by reccomending them either. I just give the nod to stuff I believe in - sponsored by, or not. I do have a good contact that you can get these from at a better than average price too if you are interested.

I personally prefer graphite poles. They are more sensitive, lighter, but can be fragile,and break somewhat easier than fiberglass. I like top notch reel seats, and am not really picky if the rod has a foam, or cork handle. There are advantages to both styles. A hook keeper is a nice detail to have as well.

Another important thing to consider when you buy your longer poles, is to macth up reels that will balance well with the rod's tip weight. A rod that is improperly balanced so that it has too heavy, or too light of a tip, will decrease your bite detection considerably. For 10' poles, a reel that weighs around 9 or 10 oz is about optimum.

One thing that may take some retraining on your part, is getting used to pointing the rod tip to the sky so that the fish will come up to hit you in the chest, or slide into the net by the boat. It is just natural to try to reach for the fish with your free hand. Don't reach, let the rod bring the fish in close to you. Sounds kind of obvious to say, but you would be surprised just how many people has this very same problem when they start using longer poles.

Full baskets, and luck to ya. Let me know if I can help you with something

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Rippa! That's a great post! Thanks for all the advise! And I admire your statement, " I just give the nod to stuff I believe in - sponsored by, or not."!
    Please tell me more about "Outlaw poles " please - feel free to email me if you feel more comfortable, [email protected] .
    What type of reels are you using on the jig poles?

Thanks again!
    Ken Mc

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ken, I am real pressed for time to give any detailed descriptions right now on the poles. Here is their website link: Outlaw Poles

I have to pack and be at the airport ASAP. I have a World of Concrete Trade show which I am an exibitor at, and I won't be back until late on the 22nd. I will post more on these then, and PM the contact to you to buy from if want too. Full baskets to ya till then!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, a little advice from another La. country boy. Try different brands and models that are less expensive at first till you see what you like or dislike. I fish primarily with the BnM 96% grafhite and a IM6. I like both poles and have fished with just about everything out there. I have even fished with the good ole standby CANE POLE. I have fished the the cheapest stuff out there and some of the most expensive too. Everyone has their ideas and feelings about poles and rods. It's mainly what you feel comfortable with and like. That's why they make choc.,vanilla and strawberry. If you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ken....

lovetofish is also giving you good advice about jigging poles. Drop back to your "How will I know" post, I left you a message about poles there you may want to read. The more you know about your options, the better your chance of getting what you want the first time. I have to agree with lovetofish, it's a personal choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie getter

I have used b&m bucks poles for years with good sucess. But a friend of mine whos inlaws own a tackle wholesale store got me a new pole for a christmas gift its a crappie getter by American Rodsmith its 11' with a slaiter reel. Man is it nice 2 oz lighter than my bucks with some nice back bone. He said that they just started carring them. So after I break this pole in and see if performs as well as it looks Ill proably be getting a couple more.
    Its Just Something About That BUMP