Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: the show me show ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default the show me show ?

i have a bud ...imagine that says he wants to learn how to ketch crappie ,so show me . i said well i aint the one to be teaching anyone brother , but i you wanna go ketch some ....lets go try to do it. he has enough crappie equipment to ketch thousands for sure . so we met up in a spot i thought we could find some and we hoped the weather would hold .
    on the launch it was pretty clear we might get rained on ,but our luck held and it passed . the wind came at use from several directions and it wasnt all that easy to ketch them . he was used to angling a bit fast and i explained one thing about crappie is most of the time you have to slow way down on them .
    so i went down a list of things he might want to consider ....
    1 ....sometimes they just WONT bite !
    2 ....sometimes they bite so soft you never know its a bite
    3 ....sometimes they want a super tiny bait
    4 ....sometimes they dont do what folks say they should do
    5 ....sometimes they are really aggressive ( like almost never ) LOL
    6 ....sometimes the lil tiny pecks are big crappie
    and then i asked him one more time .....you sure you want to go down this path ? in many cases it becomes an addiction and some folks go right off the deep end over it . between the challenge and the way they taste it can get rather ugly
    well it started off slow and he wasnt ketchn them , but he did get bit and was learning the ole golly i just got another bite and missed it program . We had a nice time for the most part other than a bit of a wind issue here and there . told me he only wanted to keep 5 or 6 for dinner and told me the 11 inchers were kinda small ....? i explained if he was wanting to eat some he might want to consider keeping a few that size as the real large crappie in the metroplex area can be difficult to find .so we boxed 3 or 4 that size and then up comes a real nice one .....Well it dont stop there and he hooks up on BFOD and his luck holds and he gets to hold it !
    asked him after that was it a hard bite ? he said nope just a peck and i said welcome to crappie . one never knows when they bite what to expect . he got home and filleted them and called and said WOW does that meat look nice , i said yeppers toss them in a bowl of ice cubes and water and let them chill a bit to firm them up .....then have at em with that there cast iron skillet ya told me ya like .....
    we did end up ketchn quite few crappie but not many real large ones
    here are a few photos and hope you enjoy the read and have a nice day
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes ad1974, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice report Ketchn, another one addicted. At least you warned him, up front.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch,should be some good eating.

Post Thanks / Like

I see you tie your jig on with a loop knot... from everything I read everybody says tie it tight with the jig horizontal... do you have better luck this way??

Post Thanks / Like

first off let me apologize for all the typos .....i have a rather busy audience at home and it was a posting while distracted thing ...
    that said i use a loop now almost all the time because it seems the jig action is good with them as most jigs seem to rest horizontally with this knot , its also a very fast knot to tie as well and you never need to readjust the jig like is common with tighter knots .
    i seem to have about the same results with less hassle it seems to me
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales