Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help selecting a Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help selecting a Battery

Here is the setup I have on my boat. One battery is hooked to the motor for cranking the other is to run the trolling motor. I need a new trolling battery but most of the batteries I have found say "Trolling,Starting,Rv". Would this be a good battery or does it need to be one that says DEEP CYCLE? Any suggestions would be appreciated and where would be the best place to get one.

Post Thanks / Like

For your trolling motor get the biggest "Deep Cycle" battery you can. I've had good service out of Walmart's deep cycle batteries. The few I did have problems with were replaced under warranty.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, I have been looking at the WM batteries. Do you get the Solid Yellow ones or the black ones?

Post Thanks / Like

I hear the Delcos are going on sale this month sometime.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
    Jerry, I have been looking at the WM batteries. Do you get the Solid Yellow ones or the black ones?
    I use the biggest Maxx Marine they have. They are yellow with a black top.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the Delco Voyager batteries. But what ever deep cycle you get, the most important thing you can do to prolong its life is to recharge immediately after each use.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between a Deep Cycle battery and one that says it is for Trolling and Starting?

Post Thanks / Like

The way I understand it is that Deep Cycle allows a person to run it almost completely down, then charge it back up to 100%. Look at a car battery...if it gets below a certain point, it can't be recharged.
    I use batteries from Walmart. I haven't really had a problem with them, and they are very good at honoring a return or warranty problem. The marine batteries are higher priced, but it is a lot better than rowing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake
    Here is the setup I have on my boat. One battery is hooked to the motor for cranking the other is to run the trolling motor. I need a new trolling battery but most of the batteries I have found say "Trolling,Starting,Rv". Would this be a good battery or does it need to be one that says DEEP CYCLE? Any suggestions would be appreciated and where would be the best place to get one.
    I have done the same thing you are wanting to do and it is working fine. I have my trolling motor plugged up to one, then the other has my outboard starter, bilge pump, running lights, and fishfinder connected to it, considering nothing runs long on my boat off that starter battery. I don't use my pump much, start my motor only a few times a day, running lights only getting back to the boat trailer, and fishfinder if I need to know the temp, depth, and structure if I fish a new spot.

But, it was said...make sure you fully charge them each night after you are done. It will drastically improve the life of the batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you need to recharge your starting battery? It shouldnt get run down like the trolling one does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast