Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Motor Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Motor Help Needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 1968 20hp Mercury outboard. I had the skag welded onto the bottom, the welder burned a small hole about 1 inch left of the lower unit drain plug. TOLD ME THAT IT WASN'T HIS PROBLEM! He welded the hole closed, and now I have oil running out from under my prop...where the prop comes out of that lower housing. It didn't do this before. Any thoughts? Could the heat of the welding process cause seals and rings to go bad?

He has now agreed to fix it, but I want to have a little bit of an idea before I start dealing with people so that I don't sound completely stupid. I can fix anything on a car, but an outboard scares me to start digging into.

ANY HELP or IDEAS would be great. I have to get this running before a trip with my dad...only have had him fishing for two years, and now he loves it. Would hate not to get to go due to a motor problem.

Post Thanks / Like

this site pretty good to answer questions http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-b...;action=login2
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he overheated the seals and that is why the oil is running out from behind the prop.
    The lower unit is pretty simple but you may need a couple of special tools to take it apart.
    I would be concerned about materal from the welding process ending up in the gears of the lower unit.
    Its should be completely diasembled and checked for this....Its is accually a good idea to disassemble it before welding.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with siscoken on this one. I would be scared that something may have got in there during the welding process.

I would definetely bring it to someone that deals with outboards and tell them what happened and then bring the bill to the welder. I would NOT let the welder do the fixing on this. If he was charging you for the welding, he should pay for his mistakes.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

The seal melted when he was welding it. To get it fixed by a boat shop it will be about $50-$100 or you can do it yourself for cheaper, if you know a mechanic who will talk you through it. I have done one before and it wasn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about repairing them, but, I am an expert in knocking skags off and tearing up props. It sounds to me that the seal was cooked during the welding. But, if you tore it up bad enough for him to be welding up that high, you might want to be sure the saft is not bent as well. I agree with an earlier comment that the lower unit should have been removed and inside inspections performed. I am concerned about slag inside too. You didn't mention damaging the prop. I am just assuming it was damaged as well.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

DRPEPPER...the skagg was welded once before...before I bought the boat. Whoever did that, they only tacked it in two little spots. The prop is fine, and the motor runs amazing. No concerned about any of this... And, I wouldn't really be concerned about the motor having welding pieces in the unit. The hole wasn't too terribly big.

I am liking what I am hearing, but keep the suggestions coming. I am feeling smarter already.

Post Thanks / Like

as others have said..he melted the seal..its a 2 peice lower unit right? the front seal is an O ring around the bearing carrier..this is the one he melted..the other is a spaggitti seal between the halves..it dont usually leak till its split..have new seals installed by someone that knows what they are doing so they can seal test it..shouldnt be over $100..be sure you use marine grease..automotive grease foams..and it will blow seals pretty quick..
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Post Thanks / Like

Melted seal. Should be a fairly easy repair.
    Wha'ts it cost to ge the skeg repaired Mine is broken too and its ruining my prop.
    Thanks
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the welder...have had some people charge $30-$40...had one guy last month charge me $100 to do a 15hp omc(guy that worked my props..he dont do any more for me)...if its an older omc with the 2 peice L/U its cheaper to replace the bottom half...the old ones are soft and hard to weld..
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast