Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Yellow Perch "Caviar": Just for Fun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yellow Perch "Caviar": Just for Fun

To make your own “caviar,” remove the roe in its unbroken membrane (the whole piece is called a skein) immediately upon killing the fish. Do not wash it, as that softens the eggs, but keep it cold until you can treat it. Do this as quickly as possible. With your fingers, gently pop the eggs individually out of the skein into a measuring cup. For each 1 to 2 cups of eggs, stir ½ cup of fine pure salt into 2 cups of cold water. (The amount of salt depends on your own preferences.) Pour in the eggs and swirl briefly and gently. Let stand for about 30 minutes to firm up and absorb some of the salt. Pick out any remaining membrane (which has turned white.) Drain through a strainer and immerse the strainer, with the eggs, in a large bowl of cold water, swirling gently to rinse. Drain. Pick out any remaining membrane. Store in cooked thoroughly cleaned containers with tight lids. Caviar can be eaten within a few hours, but is best aged for at least a month.

The above is a copy of a caviar recipe I ran into searching perch roe. I only left mine in the saltwater 15 min cuz I didn't want them as salty as the caviar I have had on the few occasions I have had it. There is a partial jar not pictured so I gave em a sampling on a wheat thin and I give em a thumbs up. Will let these pictured age the month suggested.

Caviar is good on crackers, with baked or boiled potatoes, scrambled eggs, blinies, crepes, deviled eggs and such. Decorate the caviar with a slice of lime, a bit of minced onion, or a little sieved hard boiled egg yolk. Serve with ice cold vodka, champagne or a clean, cold Pilsner. If you like caviar, this is excellent.
    Last edited by horseshoer; 01-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

I'm too lazy for all that I just roll the whole sac in meal with choice of spices and deep fry it anything from crappie to mullet not bad but not all people like them
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely going to have to try this!!!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Grandma bredded &fried them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone ever tried to color the row? Just thinking for eye appeal as a garnish for various dishes.
    Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell ya,,,,,,,,,, You guys from the south will eat just about anything!!

My dad (rest his soul) was from Hornbeak Tn. He used to eat perch eggs, chicken brain and pig brains too. Nasty, nasty, nasty!!:o

I've tried them all and you know?

NASTY, NASTY, NASTY!!:D
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Yuck, Yuck.

Post Thanks / Like

to each there own lol.. i once ate cow brain in a mexican rest. and i got to say, it was nasty lol