Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie How To

Zman_7236 Guest

Default Crappie How To

Hello,

I'm mainly a bass fisherman. However, I'm just not good enough to catch 40 bass in one day. I want to take my girlfriend fishing this spring AND keep her actively engaged in catching fish. I took her out this summer bass fishing and about 3 hours into it, she wanted to leave. HOWEVER, she still complains that I don't take her fishing..........ug.....

I remember fishing for crappie as a kid with a zebco, bobber, bobber stop, splitshot, gold hook, and minnow (all of that in one rig...I think it's just called a bobber stop). Basically, I have to buy some new equipment. My bass equipment isn't going to cut it.

Question - If I'm going to take my girlfriend crappie fishing a few times this spring, what's a good all around rod and reel to get for the two of us? I have considered buying rod mounts for trolling on my bass boat, but don't know where to start....... I also remember driving around on the boat until we found big schools of fish on the depth finder in the creeks (technology.....huge triangles were usually shad and medium size triangles were usually crappie. Boiling water on top was white bass.....ahh, memories). If we didn't catch anything, we'd change depths a few times and then eventually move. Soon enough we would come across big schools. Question #2 - Is this a good tactic for locating fish in the spring? Do I need to become a troller OR can I go out and locate crappie in georgia as easy as we did in Illinois when I was a little one?

Thanks for reading my ramblilng, incoherent message.

Z

Post Thanks / Like

First question is , where are you fishing in georgia, lake, or pond, i'm from Georgia and might can give some good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Take her to a lake and hire a guide. That will get both of you on a little vacation plus get both of you on fish with out having to spend a few days finding them.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Guide

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Take her to a lake and hire a guide. That will get both of you on a little vacation plus get both of you on fish with out having to spend a few days finding them.
    I agree. Good investment & guaranteed to learn something about the fish you're after. :D
    Last edited by Wiskers; 02-06-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Zman_7236 Guest

Default lake I fish

I'll be fishing West Point, Allatoona, and possibly Weiss Lake. A guide is certainly an option. However, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Read all the articles that you can and be prepared before you get out there. Here is a good start... http://www.crappie.com/tips.html

Also, don't go crappie fishin' with the mindframe that you're gonna load the boat. As with bass, crappie can send you home heart-broken with nothing but a sore arm. Also, the spawn can be a tough time period to just head out one day for some crappie fishin'. Between fluctuating water levels and cold fronts, the crappie can leave you dumbfounded. But when you do pattern them, you can get into some hot action.

My best advice would be to not wait until the spawn to get out there. Some of the hottest crappie fishing of the year is taking place right now. Pre-spawn crappie are easier to target and almost always willing to bite. The cold temps may be a deterrent to your better half, but right now is the time to be out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Unless your girlfriend has fished alot before, I would stick to the basic set up you mentioned. A Zebco 33,Lite Rod,SlipCork,& Minnow!Wait Till Spring and head for the Shallows!!That Will Hook Her!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are days when even seasoned crappie fishermen can't find the crappie. On those days, find a bluff, tie a little tube jig on, toss it to the bluff and let it fall. You are likely to catch some eating-quality bream that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zman_7236
    Hello,

I'm mainly a bass fisherman. However, I'm just not good enough to catch 40 bass in one day. I want to take my girlfriend fishing this spring AND keep her actively engaged in catching fish. I took her out this summer bass fishing and about 3 hours into it, she wanted to leave. HOWEVER, she still complains that I don't take her fishing..........ug.....
    Do you have a need for fishing knowledge or Female knowledge here? Is she one of them women that claims to like to fish, hunt, golf, nascar,etc......
    Been there done that!! If you are feeling the need to take her fishing, might as well pop the question and set the date. That usually eliminates their urge to go fishing with you.
    Other wise I would hire a guide. This shows you are sure of your manlyhood and not afraid to ask for directions. Buy her one of them teddy bears I see on TV too. That would show you have a sensative side.
    That's about all of the advice I can give you. I ain't got a clue how to handel one after the wedding.
    DP
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-06-2007 at 07:24 PM.
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

If you wanna go and strictly just catch fish to keep her occupied and to have fun just catching fish, why not wait until the bream go on bed. You can load the boat with them and it is so much fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast