Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For crappie and otherpan fish, I've decided there are hundreds of lures that work

Post Thanks / Like

Default For crappie and otherpan fish, I've decided there are hundreds of lures that work

For crappie and otherpan fish, I've decided there are hundreds of lures that work - some designs and types far better than others, but still an incredible amount! I've posted many hand poured lures in different sizes and in different colors that have caught hundreds of fish. Sizes range from 1"-3", colors are clear and any of a number of hues I have confidence - most of which many of you prefer.

As far as tail design, straight tails (rat tail or thin straight tail) do far better than curl tails for me in the many waters I fish. This includes single or double straight tails.

As of this report, the above has been used in water below 60 degrees and as low as 40 degrees. The other tail designs may do okay above 60, but for my money straight tails rule. Even hair jigs have their day and just one more choice among hundreds.

There is another design that I discovered that I don't pour: I took a Ring Worm and cut 1 3/4: off the tail and removed the curl tail. The quiver is phenomenal - just like the straight thin tail - and guaranteed to catch fish whenever I hit the water.

I've even been using a weighted float with the above and catching fish. One sunnie was a little larger than my middle finger! It's fun to see the float disappear after the first pop.

I attribute my success to the use of light 4-6lb test mono or fluorocarbon line or leader of either attached to thin braid; a super slow retrieve; a light action rod; and allowing the lure to reach the depth fish are suspending. The bigger the fish, the greater the lure variety they'll strike.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, its a color thing & finesse!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you decided this, I would never had guessed.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Likes Cane Pole, huntinslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasseyes View Post
    I'm glad you decided this, I would never had guessed.

LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Don't tell the bait companies, they may start selling more than one style bait. Guess I am going to have to invest in something other than an Altoids can to carry all me stuff in now. Thanks for letting us in on your decision.
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Chartreuse and any other color, orange,black,white, red, purple and the list goes on.

Post Thanks / Like

The original post was supported yesterday and on the dates shown by these lures:

Name:  dip.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  20.4 KB

note: the Joker and other straight tails also caught fish using a float in 10'.
    Since the crappies and sunfish were within casting distance around the boat, all lures shown worked for both species including the clear plastic lures.

Last edited by Spoonminnow; 04-21-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The whole point of the post is that crappie and other pan fish don't require a whole lot of special lures for certain conditions, but do require a good lure design and presentation that works 99% of the time.
    Yesterday it was 100 fish caught; on the 18th, another documented 100 fish caught but in a different lake. The only thing that seemed to work better with these lures was switching back to a 1/16 from a 1/8 oz jig head.

Post Thanks / Like

The only things important about any lure is:
    1. you get their attention and hold it with a lure's motions
    2. that the lure is presented and worked the best way to ramp up their level of aggression (getting under their scales so to speak)
    3. that the lure is held on to for the second it takes to set the hook

Lures are nothing like anything in nature and fish are like infants: they see it and try to. The real thing they instinctively know but the objects I cast over 200 times for 200 fish wasn't anything close nor an intended imitation. That's the beauty of using lures: they accomplish what live bait at times can't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast