PDA

View Full Version : landing net

slabdaddy
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Looking to buy a long handled or telescopic landing net for crappie fishing.I do alot of spider rigging and long line trolling and think this would be very helpful but I can't seem to find one. Anyone have any suggestions or know of any place that sells them?

Jerry Blake
02-03-2007, 10:18 PM
Grizzly Jig - www.grizzlyjig.com - has some really nice ones. I think they extend out to about 8-feet. I don't see them on their website but you can give them a call or email them.

slabbandit
02-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey Slabdaddy,
If you don't find exactly what you are looking for do as I did. Go to Wal-Mart and buy the lime green nylon dip net with the aluminum handle that is about 2 feet long for about 5 bucks. An old skinny push broom handle will fit perfectly up inside of the aluminum handle. I put a small screw in to hold it.

Works great for crappie and can handle an occasional bigger fish such as a bass or catfish.:)

gabowman
02-03-2007, 11:09 PM
About the same problem with me. I was trying to reach over T-bars full of driftmasters to net fish and finding it a pain. I had a crappie sized dip net with a short handle on it and a large net for cats with a long handle on it so I switched handles on them (same diameter handles). Worked out being ideal for crappie, not sure on the cats yet..

gone fishing
02-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Check with 1weezer email-1weezer@charter.net

1weezer
02-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Eco Nets just came out with a net made for crappie fishing this year. Check out their web site at http://www.adventureproducts.com/fishing.htm and look at the new crappie nets. Bottom of the page on the right side.

caseydrew
02-04-2007, 12:35 AM
1weezer,

That 8 1/2' tight mesh crappie net looks like the ticket to me.

FalconSmitty
02-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I just whittled down the end of the handle so it would fit in 3/4" pvc. Stuck it in and drilled it all the way thru it for a nut and screw. mine is just 8' it was longer but that was overkill.
Any of you have little kids? at the beach they sell these small nets with 2 1/2' wooden handles. it works great for this but if you catch a bass you have to just bet his head in there. They won't fit.

GRIZZ
02-04-2007, 02:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/EGO-REACH-Landing-Fish-Crappie-Net-Nets_W0QQitemZ170063298214QQihZ007QQcategoryZ384QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

papasage
02-04-2007, 07:10 AM
git a extendable paint roller handle and attach it to short net handle . that way you can store it in a smaller place . a pool net handle would work . i just gave one of them away :( :eek:

hunt4crappie
02-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Eco Nets just came out with a net made for crappie fishing this year. Check out their web site at http://www.adventureproducts.com/fishing.htm and look at the new crappie nets. Bottom of the page on the right side.

Been looking for the perfect net for over a year now. This net looks like it will fit the bill so I ordered it. Thanks for the info.

DENNIS BOWERS
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Bass Pro has the perfect net-Its the shrimp/smelt net. Lightweight, Telescopic handle,fine mesh. I"m on my 2nd one,first one was stole off the boat! LOL-Guess someone else thought so too!!!reasonable price.

Fred in Ky
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I use the Shrimp/Smelt net from basspro. It works great.

hunt4crappie
02-06-2007, 07:06 PM

Received the net today. This thing is awsome. I can reach out there now to net those crappie. Can't wait to put the net to use.

slabdaddy
02-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Just ordered the EGO reach!

ShilohRed
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
I also used the Extend able paint roller handle. And it works great.
Pete

billr12
02-07-2007, 11:09 AM
I really like the newer rubber nets as the hooks don't catch and they are easy to handle. Wally world had them last year, with extend handle.

mrwillis
02-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Another net thought...are you going to catch and release, or keep and eat? I was reading the other day in a magazine and caught that the different materials used in making the nets can be damaging to the fish's outsides. Obviously, the rubber was easiest on the fish, with the nylon netting ties with knots being the worse off for them. Just a thought.

slabdaddy
02-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I usually release most of mine in hot oil!

PanMan_VA
02-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the link. I have been looking for something to replace the large rubber mesh net that extended to about 6 feet I currently have. It worked, but was heavy and hard to use when by myself. The crappie net should be easier for me to use except when I'm trolling crankbaits. I will probably still use the rubber mesh net for that to keep the trebble hooks from tangling in the nylon mesh.

Hutchman
02-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Papasage, you beat me to it. I stole my wife's telescoping roller handle and attached it to my net. Works great! Needless to say, the wife was less than happy when she saw what happened to her handle. Hutch

flytackle
02-08-2007, 06:46 PM
I use a long handled net by Steve Sperry - here's a link:

http://www.fishingnets.net/

Here's a picture of the West Branch model that I use:

http://www.fishingnets.net/r_sw16lb.jpg

Hand made in Maine and very nice. Tight lines! Alec

mrwillis
02-08-2007, 09:32 PM
That is a very sharp lookin' net. How long is that one, and can I be nosey and ask how much that cost? I am in the market for a good, durable net myself.

rango
02-09-2007, 05:41 AM
i took an boat hook with an extendable twist lock handle, removed the hook and put a landing net hoop in the end. it extends from about 5 ft to 10-12ft with a twist. its light and works great. when fishing we usually extend it out to about 9-10 ft and you can reach any fish with no problem

rango
02-09-2007, 05:45 AM
I really like the newer rubber nets as the hooks don't catch and they are easy to handle. Wally world had them last year, with extend handle.i tried one of them rubber nets on my extendable net. i dint like it cause it made the net really "top heavy" when you extended it out. seems like i paid 13 dollars for the net, used it one night and give it away. put the nylon net back on it

Darrell Baker
02-09-2007, 07:03 AM
The best net I have found for crappie fishing is the EGO Reach net that is made by Adventure Products. Being a crappie guide on Weiss Lake in Northeast Alabama, we use the nets daily and they are great. The net is light weight and only 34 inches long, but will extend out to 8 1/2 FEET. It weighs less than 2 pounds when fully extended and has a 5 pound weight limit. Check out the EGO Reach below...

http://www.adventureproducts.com/ego_reach.htm

I think you will really enjoy the net and it will help you land those big crappie! See Ya' on the Water...

Darrell Baker
Weiss Lake Crappie Guides
DJ's Guide Service
PO Box 778
Centre, Alabama 35960
Tele/ 256-927-2232
Cell/ 256-557-0129
www.weisslakecrappieguides.com
www.djsguideservice.com

AUTiger
02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't know what you are looking for exactly but we have some down here in middle georgia that are a two piece extendable made out of the same material as a regular net that (with a smaller head that's about 14inches square) that is excellent for trolling....it's probably close to 6 ft long closed all the way down and will go out to over 10 feet, probably closer to 12 feet, I'm sure or anywhere in between according to how many holes you drill for adjustments.....if you'd like I'll try to find out the name of them and where the guys that sell them get them from......I'll try to post a pic so you can get an idea of what it looks extended all the way out...by the way, I replaced the head in mine with a standard net for those big "strippers" we wind up catching from time to time....