Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slider Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slider Jigs

What is the best jighead to use when fishing the Charlie Brewer Slider Jigs in 8 to 14 feet of water casting? I just bought some 1/16 ounce Charlie Brewer heads that are orange, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just use something like a roadrunner head and just try to rig it weedless even though it doesn't have a bend in the hook. What to you guys use successfully when casting slider jigs into the brushpiles?

Post Thanks / Like

The weedless, no snag feature of the Slider system is it's forte. Granted, using Charlie's jigheads make that feature easy, but I'm sure you can use any other jighead with a Slider jig body. Making it productively snag free will be dependent on how you rig the body.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I love the sliders from spike it, great colors. I use them on my heads of course but you can get the small braces rubber band and make any jig head weedless

Post Thanks / Like

I've had pretty good success with Sliders when I do cast instead of jig fish. My all time favorite color on our stained water is Junebug/Chartreuse. I buy the 1/8 0z. Red slider heads. ( I'm just partial to redheads...don't tell my wife!)
    One thing that I found is real critical on slider fishing in 8 to 12 feet of water is a small diameter line without a lot of stretch. I prefer a good quality 4 lb. line. I like Trylene XL pretty well but I'm still trying others too.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Thick cover- Slider head. Sparse cover-regular 16oz. head.
    Sometimes I use a Roadrunner head too.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Here's what I use ....

Quote Originally Posted by caseydrew
    What is the best jighead to use when fishing the Charlie Brewer Slider Jigs in 8 to 14 feet of water casting? I just bought some 1/16 ounce Charlie Brewer heads that are orange, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just use something like a roadrunner head and just try to rig it weedless even though it doesn't have a bend in the hook. What to you guys use successfully when casting slider jigs into the brushpiles?
    and they work very well with Slider bodies :

I have some of Charlie Brewer's jigheads, but haven't really used them much. I can cast into some pretty gnarly stuff, with the pictured jigheads, and expect to get them thru it and/or stick a fish ... just as often, if not more, than with the CB jigheads.
    Both of these jigheads are custom made by P&S Custom Tackle. You can get a similar version of the top (brush style guard) jighead, at most tackle stores & "marts" ... but, the bottom jighead (V-wing style) may be a bit harder to find, in commercial outlets.
    P&S Custom Tackle is owned by Paul Mullins. It's located here in KY. Paul is a Crappie.com member (user ID - Grousefly). You can contact him at - [email protected] (he's listed in the "Where Crappie.com Members buy their gear" link, on the Swap Meet - Classified Ads Forum ... http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=8205 )

........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of the one w/ the "V" shaped guard.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep, Casey ...

Quote Originally Posted by caseydrew
    I like the looks of the one w/ the "V" shaped guard.
    that's my favorite, too. It's surprising how well it will come thru some pretty gnarly stuff. And it's very effective when the fish is hooked -- the guard pushes against the roof of the fish's mouth, when hooked in the roof of the mouth, and helps hold the hook in place. It's also very effective in holding the hook in place, when the fish is lip hooked. The brush guard style is nearly as, or just as effective, in these circumstances .. but, I think the V-wing guard is a little more "snag-proof" .... especially when dragging the jig over the timber.
    Call it what you will .... V-wing - bug wing - V-guard - Y-guard - "cp's favorite" .... Paul Mullins, of P&S Custom Tackle, will know what you mean
    ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to have to get with Paul on those V-Guards. Looks like just what I've been looking for.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

slabbandit,you are wasting money trying to beat that trilene xl .Not as good as the best,its the best!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast