Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor Question...Too Much Power??

Post Thanks / Like

Question Trolling Motor Question...Too Much Power??

I am probably going to update my 16 ft. Tracker Panfisher's trolling motor this Spring. I'm pretty sure that I am going to stay with a foot control Minn-Kota. Right now I have one of the old 28 thrust, steel shaft Minn-Kotas.

I was wondering what you guys thoughts were on putting a 55 thrust on my boat. I usally just run my trolling motor on high to move from one brushpile to the other since a lot of them are 100 yds or so apart. Right now it just takes too long to do it, especially if there is a head wind.

I have one of the old Minn-Kota Maximizer units on my boat so getting it to run slow enough should not be a problem.
    Would there be any problems going to a high powered trolling motor on a small boat such as mine??
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

No Problem, A 55 Would Be Ideal On A 16footer.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you're on the right track, Slabbandit. I've got a 40 thrust on my 1448, and I absolutely wouldn't want anything less than that. Plus, from looking at your past photos, it seems that y'all aren't too shy of those brushpiles right out in the middle of the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 65 minn kota auto pilot and have needed it to stay on a brushpile, have 16.5 G3 about the same boat size and weight. Times i've wished i went a little higher and a 24 volt system to fish longer in a stiff wind. Seems running a bigger motor at a lower speed uses less battery or so i've heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Get all the power you can afford for the number of batteries you use. If you can and you have room, go 24 volt. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

RockMan Guest

I have an 04 Panfish. It came with a 48lb thrust. It pulls the boat along good I think. It is a Motor Guide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    I am probably going to update my 16 ft. Tracker Panfisher's trolling motor this Spring. I'm pretty sure that I am going to stay with a foot control Minn-Kota. Right now I have one of the old 28 thrust, steel shaft Minn-Kotas.
    I have a 16' panfisher as well. It didn't take long for me to tear up the original trolling motor in the stumps. I don't remember the thrust I bought; but, it is the largest tiller 12 volt minkota made. Going tiller sure made more room for me up front. The second best thing I ever did was to put a foot button in it for the power. Now I don't have to reach up and think about how far to twist it every time I want to go. I bought a 4' extension at Academy for it.
    I still hate trying to keep it over brush facing the wind. I haven't learned the trick to hold her steady. I am looking forward to running across you this spring on Nimrod.
    DP
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 02-03-2007 at 02:15 AM.
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I went from an old Evinrude foot trolling motor about 30 lb thrust to a Minn Kota 55 lb thrust foot control. Love it. It is on a fiberglass boat in the 16 ft range too. If I had room for a second battery I would have got a bigger trolling motor. Like some have said before get the biggest one you can afford to get. You probably will never hear someone say that they have too much motor but too little motor. And that is on either end of the boat. Just my two cents worth.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

One tip, Slabbandit. If you want to use your old Maximizer, you are gonna have to stick with a 12V system. I don't think that they work with 24V trolling motors. Just something to think about...

Post Thanks / Like

Default bigger is better

I have a 56 on my xpress. run low, run silent. DO IT.....Keep It TITE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast