Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crazy Louisiana Weather

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Crazy Louisiana Weather

How bout this weather. Wish I was wetting a hook instead of being stuck in this office. As a buddy of mine said this weekend the Crappie are confused!! We are catching bigger fish still deep (13 - 20 ft)but alot of smaller fish have been caught in the shallow ends of the coves. Fish I cleaned this past weekend did have quite a few eggs in them and some starting to turn a little reddish. It almost makes you think they are wanting to move into transition for early spawn. I know better, but it makes you think. It's in the low 70's today and by the weekend it's supposed to be lows of 24 and only highs around 34. It's a wonder we all don't have pneumonia. My wife tells me I'm do darn cantankerous. But, well that's other subject. HA!! HA!! Any thoughts or ideas on this?????????????

specker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovetofish
    How bout this weather. Wish I was wetting a hook instead of being stuck in this office. As a buddy of mine said this weekend the Crappie are confused!! We are catching bigger fish still deep (13 - 20 ft)but alot of smaller fish have been caught in the shallow ends of the coves. Fish I cleaned this past weekend did have quite a few eggs in them and some starting to turn a little reddish. It almost makes you think they are wanting to move into transition for early spawn. I know better, but it makes you think. It's in the low 70's today and by the weekend it's supposed to be lows of 24 and only highs around 34. It's a wonder we all don't have pneumonia. My wife tells me I'm do darn cantankerous. But, well that's other subject. HA!! HA!! Any thoughts or ideas on this?????????????
    LTF,
    I also cleaned a bunch of fish on Sunday that had well developed eggs. The unusually warm weather has brought out the spring bugs and all of my spring bulbs are about 3-4" tall. It looks like we are headed for an early spawn but who knows for sure? I usually start catching the early spawners in late Feb under the light on my pier at night. I tried a little last week and caught mostly small yellow bass with a couple of small specks mixed in. Ill try a little tonight and see if there is any early action, but my instinct tells me that it is too early. If I knew for sure I would be making a living as a Crappie guide. Sometimes it is just hard to know what they are doing. Ill keep the board updated on the spawn at my corner of the world.

specker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovetofish
    LTF,

Fished my pier last night and caught several small 4-6" crappie. I was using a chart tube jig and bouncing it off the bottom in about 8' of water. I think these were just small fish feeding under my light. There were a lot of shad around and some bigger fish were hitting them at the edges of my light, probably bass. No spawners yet.