Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weekends Catch

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Weekends Catch

Well, here un north La. the fishing was pretty darn good over the weekend. I caught some nice slabs Satbut evne better ones on Sunday. I fished a little local crappie Tournament Sunday and ended up first place. Not Bragging. We had some darn good anglers in the bunch and I feel when i beat them thats a high hurdle that has been acheived. My 10 fish weighed in at 11.69 Lbs. I was well pleased. Big fish of the Tourn. was 2.39 Lbs.. We had several that were knocking on that door. I caught all my fish in deep water (13-18 ft). I must admit I caught my better fish on jigs tipped with a small shiner. I don't like to fish that way but you do what it takes sometimes. I did catch a number of fish without shiners but they just were not as big. The weather i think had a big roll. It started out cold with a heavy frost and dense fog. At daylight the fog moved out for a short period and I was able to move to somes spots that had been holding some nice fish. Some of the other Anglers didn't move quick enough and the fog moved back end and stayed so thick for about 3 hours that you litterally could not see 20 ft. in front of your boat.The temperature dropped and with the thick overcast the fish got extremly slow. After the fog did lift it was pretty much over with.Good luck to all fishing this week(Some of us have to work) but i will be there for the weekend, RAIN, SNOW, SLEET or SHINE.

specker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lovetofish
    Well, here un north La. the fishing was pretty darn good over the weekend. I caught some nice slabs Satbut evne better ones on Sunday. I fished a little local crappie Tournament Sunday and ended up first place. Not Bragging. We had some darn good anglers in the bunch and I feel when i beat them thats a high hurdle that has been acheived. My 10 fish weighed in at 11.69 Lbs. I was well pleased. Big fish of the Tourn. was 2.39 Lbs.. We had several that were knocking on that door. I caught all my fish in deep water (13-18 ft). I must admit I caught my better fish on jigs tipped with a small shiner. I don't like to fish that way but you do what it takes sometimes. I did catch a number of fish without shiners but they just were not as big. The weather i think had a big roll. It started out cold with a heavy frost and dense fog. At daylight the fog moved out for a short period and I was able to move to somes spots that had been holding some nice fish. Some of the other Anglers didn't move quick enough and the fog moved back end and stayed so thick for about 3 hours that you litterally could not see 20 ft. in front of your boat.The temperature dropped and with the thick overcast the fish got extremly slow. After the fog did lift it was pretty much over with.Good luck to all fishing this week(Some of us have to work) but i will be there for the weekend, RAIN, SNOW, SLEET or SHINE.
    LTF,
    Were were you fishing? Why don't you like to use shiners? I fish shiners almost exclusivly. I have found at D'arbonne that I can catch fish on large shiners when the jig guys aren't doing anything. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, lovetofish.....I know you are well pleased. Under the adverse conditions you came through very well. Navigating through a heavy fog presents enough of a challenge, even with a GPS, but you found your spots and caught enough quality fish to win the tournament. I'd say you've done extremely well. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by specker
    LTF,
    Were were you fishing? Why don't you like to use shiners? I fish shiners almost exclusivly. I have found at D'arbonne that I can catch fish on large shiners when the jig guys aren't doing anything. Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Specker, I was fishing at Poverty Point. I prefer to use jigs because it is more a finese type fishing to me and most of the time I can catch two to one versus others using shiners. I have fished with a friend of mine that likes to use shiners and most of the timewhile he is chasing the shiner down or trying to put it on the hook I'm already back in the water fishing or pulling in other fish. I know there are times when shiners are good to use. I'm not knocking using shiners but I personally prefer not to if i don't have any other means. Also, your point about catching fish with shiners while others are not catching on jigs - I have seen it reversed also. About three weeks ago there were three boats fishing in the same log pile and of course I was one of them fishing only with jigs and the other two fishing with shiners and I was pulling in more big fish on the jigs while the other two were catching fish but mostly smaller. It didn't take one of them long and he put those shiners down and statred with just jigs. I believe both techniques have their time and place on any particular body of water and what works for one may not work for the other. Well, that's may two cents worth on this subject. How is the fishing on D'arbonne? Good luck on your next trip.

specker Guest

Specker, I was fishing at Poverty Point. I prefer to use jigs because it is more a finese type fishing to me and most of the time I can catch two to one versus others using shiners. I have fished with a friend of mine that likes to use shiners and most of the timewhile he is chasing the shiner down or trying to put it on the hook I'm already back in the water fishing or pulling in other fish. I know there are times when shiners are good to use. I'm not knocking using shiners but I personally prefer not to if i don't have any other means. Also, your point about catching fish with shiners while others are not catching on jigs - I have seen it reversed also. About three weeks ago there were three boats fishing in the same log pile and of course I was one of them fishing only with jigs and the other two fishing with shiners and I was pulling in more big fish on the jigs while the other two were catching fish but mostly smaller. It didn't take one of them long and he put those shiners down and statred with just jigs. I believe both techniques have their time and place on any particular body of water and what works for one may not work for the other. Well, that's may two cents worth on this subject. How is the fishing on D'arbonne? Good luck on your next trip.
    LTF,

Thanks for the reply. I use shiners because I have a light boat and that is the technique I am best at. I use jigs off of my pier and they work well especially in the spring when the fish come in to spawn. The fishing at D'arbonne is good right now and should stay that way until the next rain. There were a bunch of boats in the channel this AM when I left for work.