Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging new boat - update

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging new boat - update

Great weather today so I gave the new boat a bath and spent a good amount of time just checking out all the stuff.
    Trying to figure out the best place to mount the Spyderloks. I will be using both seats most of the time fishing with my son and they are in easy reach when all the way up front on the carpet. I either have to put the left rod holder as far on the port side as possible or just left of center if I am going to be able to deploy the TM without removing the rod holder. Where it is in the picture clears if I rotate it correctly. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, what is the best method for mounting the base plates? Not sure I can get to them and put washers and nuts on bolts.
    Likes blueball, armyman, TomTom1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the composition of your deck. Is it aluminum and wood? Fiberglass and wood?
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Deck is aluminum.

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to be extra careful when mounting holders with part of it outside the boat as they are easy to tear off on docks with up rights. It would be better to have it inside the boat and move one to deploy trolling motor. Been there done that
    Likes blueball, Wiskers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have mounted a lot of SpyderLoks in aluminum and fiberglass using the supplied screws with no problems. Bolts will certainly be secure if you can get to them.
    One of my objectives in making the SpyderLok was to have a flush mounting plate. It is difficult to find a good place to mount them when the TM interferes while stowing. For some I have made a slide plate which allows you to leave the holder in the boat and lets you move it to the inside out of the way while stowing the TM. Downside is the slide, long and not flush. It's a trade off. I'm also not in favor of mounting any holder where it can't be rotated to the point where it's inside the boat for reasons previously mentioned. If you would like, feel free to call me.
    very nice boat you have.
    **** Click my Logo for products and ordering info****
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't your trolling motor pedal tray removable? That should give you access to the underside.

My Excel has 2 x.125 aluminum decks so I just used #12 stainless screws to hold my HiTeks down.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  62.8 KB Works for me

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into the exact same problem. I opted to put mine in the corners just like in your picture. I just remove mine when I rack the trolling motor and install when I get to where I'm fishing. I thought this was gonna be a major inconvenience but its really not. When I push jigs from the front I tend to fish 1 area thoroughly and not move all over the lake. I've got two sets of bases, one set up for spider rigging and one set up on either side of the seat for long lineing. When they are in place to long line I just rotate the left with no problem but when set up to push from the front I have to remove the left one. Takes all of 30 seconds. When I long line I go with a single seat up front and I have a trolling bar that I mount across the back of the boat. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way.
    One suggestion, you may want to move the bases in just far enough to access the outer knob with ease or... I mounted mine with knobs front and back instead of side to side. I'm glad I did.
    Btw, nice boat, you are gonna have fun with your son. I've got three boys and the two oldest have practically grown up in our boat. Lots of good memories. The youngest will be ready by next year I think.
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the good info. I am going to use screws and if I have an issue I will use bolts. I am going to go with the plywood idea first that way I can be sure I am happy with where they end up, and keep them from hanging over the outside of the boat. Plus I need to get my HB for the bow and see if everything works well together. I have a lot of room up there to get everything lined up.

Spent a couple hours at, bass pro taking advantage of their sale. Picked up some dock line, an anchor rope, new life vests and of course some crappie gear.
    I bought 2 14 ft crappie maxx signature series rod and one 12 ft BNM Bucks graphite jig pole. I already have a 12 ft BNM PST so that I'll give us 4 to start. I wanted to get a match for the PST but they were all out of them. I want to see which rods we like the best before we expand. I picked up a couple Shimano rear drag spinning reals for cheap plus new high vis line. We already have a pair of ultra lite rod and reels for casting jigs as well. Starting to get excited about fishing but I have a lot of work to do in order to get her ready for the water.

Post Thanks / Like

A little bit of work done on the boat but I am waiting on the FFs to arrive so I can get the one mounted on the console and then figure out the layout up front. On the console, I ordered the RAM mount but don't really like it. I am sure it is very functional but that thing is pretty bulky. It is a D with the short coupler. I will have to see how it looks when the unit arrives. I called and talked to a guy at Balzout and those brackets look great but expensive. I think for the front unit I am going to modify one of the 2 rod Spyderlok T bars I have. I have been playing around with the 4 rod size by mounting them in a couple different positions using a piece of plywood I cut for the front deck. They are easy to adjust and I know a couple of you use them for a FF mount.

I took the transducer off and added a mounting plate so I don't have to drill any more holes in the hull. I am planning on leaving the elite 5 combo in the dash for high speed running.

Mounted the fire ext. on the inside of passenger console. Easy to get do.
    Not sure how much I will use this for crappie.
    And for the last phot below, this was a lesson learned from a few years ago. Ouch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast