Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Action for trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Action for trolling

I was looking at some rods at Grizzly Jig Co and saw where the Pinnacle Limit series rods are medium action. Is this too heavy for slow trolling? Do they need to be light or ultra-light?

Post Thanks / Like

also, what size spinning reel would be best on these?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That might be hard to say, seeing as how there's really no industry standard for "medium". A lot of brands label their rods in accordance with the difference among their own lineup ... not in comparison to any/all other brands.

But, nonetheless ... seems at least some of our members have an opinion on them : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...le-limit-rods/

... cp

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Pennacle rods in 8-10-and 12 foot. They work great for slow trolling, what I call longlining. I also fished with tenncrappie on Chickamaugu and he uses them to run his small crappie planer boards and they work great. From spider rigging thru planer boards would be my limit. When I start pulling crankbaits, I want a much stiffer action rod like the Southern Crappie Rods.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 8 pinnacle 12'ers from grizzly a few years back for spiderrigging reelfoot. If the water is calm and I can run a 1/4oz weight they work great. In rough water(90% of the time at the foot) I can never see a bite until they just run off with it or when they turn loose and run off with my minner. If I had it to do over again I would have just bought a few to get started, b/c 4 for $60 is great, and then bought my good rods a little at a time.
    If it's to deep to stand up and there is to much to drink, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 12`ers they work fine. Up graded to b`n m`s for spider rigging. use the pinnacles for long lining.

Post Thanks / Like

Ay opinions on the B n M West Point rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Or the South Bend Crappie Stalker rods? Which one of the two do you guys recommend for spider rig?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 8 ....14 ft. BnM Capps and Coleman rods for spider rig and I like them a lot
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    I use 8 ....14 ft. BnM Capps and Coleman rods for spider rig and I like them a lot
    Based on what my spider rigging mentor tells me ... the C/C rods are a little softer action than a BnM PST rod ... which makes them a little more sensitive for light bites when "spider rigging".

I tested my PST against my C/C ... with 1/2oz weight hanging off the tips ... and both rods seemed to bend about the same. BUT, when using them on the water, with the waves bouncing the rods to any degree ... the C/C rods did "dip" farther and bounce longer than the PST, even with the same weight (due to being slightly more "soft" in their flex).

But, that's just my observation ... since I don't really "spider rig" as much as I "push" my jig rigs. And, so far, I've yet to actually "see" a fish bite/hit ... to tell whether the softer action shows a light bite better, or not. All the fish I've caught pushing jigs have buried the rods into the water (while I wasn't looking, of course ) Not that I'm complaining, just that it hasn't occurred where I've had the chance to compare bites between the two.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast