Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hybrid strippers in Watkins Mill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hybrid strippers in Watkins Mill

Is it true that Hybrid Stripped bass have been stocked in to Watkins Mill this past fall?
    I read an article in a magazine the other day and this lake was one of them on the list of lakes newly stocked with Hybrids!
    Catch Fish Or Die Old Trying!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe help get rid of all those stunted 5" crappie??

Post Thanks / Like

Well the crappie are stunted, but at 8" not 5" and they have been slowly improving. Yes we did stock hybrid striped bass as part of a research study. We are testing if they will reduce the abundance of large shad which aren't food for much in the lake. Only the largest bass can eat a 12" shad and we have way too many of those. Hybrids may also reduce the crappie population some too which is desirable at Watkins. We are hoping folks will practice catch and release on the hybrids these first few years, although harvest is allowed. We have stocked the last two years and the first year fish were almost 12" long last summer. Anglers were seeing schooling fish which can make for some fun action, especially on ultralight tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like a good time to me. But this article I found states the "MDC's 20 inch keeper limit" is this miss information?MDC stocks stripers at Nodaway Lake - News - Mobile

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

There is a 4 fish daily limit and a 20" minimum length limit. These fish will reach 20 inches pretty quickly as they are being stocked into lakes rich with food items.

Post Thanks / Like

20 inch hybrids in Watkins mill!! Looking forward to some top water action

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw