Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filleting question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filleting question.

I've noticed here in some posts and out at my lake that when some fillet panfish they just cut the ribcage right off in the fillet. Its seems easier and faster than the way I do it. I've always filleted the meat from the ribcage and left the ribs on the fish. How many of you cut the ribs and do you just leave the ribs in the fillets to cook?

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=31679
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I cut the filet off the ribs and leave the ribs on the fish carcass. It takes a few seconds longer but it makes less of a mess to leave the guts undisturbed and my family really loves the boneless filets.

Post Thanks / Like

I filet it off the fish and then cut the rib cage out.

Post Thanks / Like

Grizz,
    I am one of those that cut the ribs and the meat off together. Once you have the piece of meat with the ribs in it, I take a fillet knife and cut around the ribs and that leaves you with just the fillet. It takes about two seconds to cut the ribs out! I usually cut all of the fillets with the ribs in them and then go back and cut out all of the ribs. :D
    Crappie Xtreme/Rend Lake Crappie Guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same way...

I use an electric carving knife (el cheapo Black & Decker from Walmart) and do it the same way as eat,sleep,fish describes. Easy, quick and guaranteed boneless for the kids.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with eat sleep and fish.I 'v been doing it just like that for a long time.
    Electric knife,then a sharp filet knife for the rib cage.Now for catfish I go over
    the ribs and leave them on the fish.I'v riuned some good blades trying to go through big catfish ribs.Is there a good way to sharpen electric knife blades??
    Thanks and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappies I leave the ribcage on the carcass
    Walleyes the ribs are removed after the fillets are off the carcass
    Ken

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Grizz, if I'm using an electric knife, we just form an assembly line. I'll cut the fillets off and the next guy down takes the ribs out. If I'm using a standard fillet knife, I'll fillet around the ribs like you.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Hey GRIZZ:

When I used to use a regular fillet knife I left the ribcage on the carcass but when I started using an electric fillet knife I started cutting through the ribs following the spine. After I cut the skin off but while the fillet is still laying on the skin I cut the ribcage out with the tip of the electric knife blade by angling in behind the ribs so as not to waste any meat. I make two cuts - one on the top side of the ribcage and one on the bottom - starting where the back of the ribcage comes to a point and cutting forward. By keeping the fillet laying on the skin the knife cuts through the fillet better and the skin protects the knife from dulling on the board and protects my fillet board from the knife.

As far as sharpening electric fillet knife blades I've not heard of a method that works well. Usually by the time my blades start getting dull the pin/rivet that holds the tip of the blades together has worn to the point that it leaves too big of a space between the blades so it's time for new blades anyway, which are less than 6 bux at Walmart.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Get a round file that fits the tooth just like you'd file the gullet of a saw just lay it in with the angle and rake of the tooth doesn't take much and it'll be sharp
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast