PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Livewell

wannagofishin
01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd like to make a small livewell for baitfish (minnows)...wondering if anyone has done this...

I'm looking at using either a 5 gallon plastic bucket or a small cooler, like a gatorade cooler.

I am wanting plans and sources of materials - I'm guessing I'll have to buy some kind of an aerator for air - I have a power source at the dock I fish - so it doesn't have to be battery powered. I just don't want to have to keep pulling a minnow bucket in and out of the water...

billr12
01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
I used a small cheap cooler and added a cheap air pump with a couple of air stones and it worked great. Just about anything you can drop a couple of air stones in will work. I like the cooler as it keep the water from heating like plastic buckets do.

grundan
01-22-2007, 03:56 PM
from all i have read about keeping minnows lively the round container will be better than something with corners. get you one of them 25-35 gallon plastic drums, cut it in half or whatever looks good to you hook an aerorator or pump/filter up to it. some of the charcoal filters you use on aquariums work well to filter the water and keep ammonia levels down.
a charcoal filter working with a pump to keep a fresh supply of water exchanged frequently will work well for ya.

ceb
01-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Take a look at this set-up made by Darryl Morris. It may be a little bigger than you want, but it will give you some ideas at least. There are pics of the set-up as well...

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=24123&page=2&highlight=darryl+cooler

ceb
01-23-2007, 11:24 AM
bump for wannagofishin