Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pros and Cons of getting sponsors..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pros and Cons of getting sponsors..

What methods do you use to obtain sponsors for tour. series? Me and a friend are gonna fish some tournaments and have never tried to get sponsors. Any help is needed.. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You need a little bit of a resume. fish some tournaments this year and see if you like it. Then try some of the local places. Boat dealers, bait shops ect.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

Try here for info.This is a must read!

Scott Rauber's www.FishForFree.com

Volume 1 and 2

I cohosted a radio show with "Hoggie" on Catch-N Radio with Scott as show guest.Scott talks "how"

Hear that show right here at http://www.catch-n.com/audio/FishForFree.mp3

GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 01-21-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

My reply to this post is a bit cynical, but I think it is honest and I write from my own experience. So, here goes.

Heck yeah, just wake up one morning and decide over a hot cup of coffee that your going to start fishing tournaments and your going to get a bunch of sponsors to pay all the expenses. After all, "you're serious about it." Read the How-To books, follow the formulas. Be aggressive, positive and enthusiastic. Write the resumes and send the letters. Oh yeah. Then when you get your head out of orbit and put your feet back on mother earth, read the rest of this post.

The first and probably most important reality about those seeking sponsorships (you and me) start with "who are you to be sponsored?" I realized I was nobody. You have nothing to offer and no leverage to get what you really need. I could wear a Triton or Ranger touney shirt all day and fish a tournament everyday for 365 days a year and it wouldn't make a bit of difference. Me wearing their shirt because they gave me some money to help with the entry fee (maybe) wouldn't sell one boat for them. All it would do is make others want a fancy shirt like that so they can feel important too. And the sponsor doesn't want that, they want to sell product. What have I done, what have you done to prove yourself and make a name for yourself so that when you are sponsored it will be effective for the sponsor? Sponsors know that and they get hundreds of requests per year. The reality is they approach for themselves those whom they really wish to sponsor, but if it's a consolation I'm sure they'll sell you a fancy shirt for 10% off the already outrageous regular price. Getting yourself into a position where real sponsors with real benefits will take notice of you takes hard work, sometimes years, proving that you have what it takes to be somebody on your own. Otherwise, it is my opinion you're just spitting in the wind for peanuts and it will break you before it will make you.

Which brings me to the most eye-opening reality about the sponsors themselves. All of them, 100% of all sponsors, not only want a return on their investment, they want it at an utterly unreasonable rate of return. When you first seek their sponsorship, they might give you some product (say a few packages of jigs) but cash money is out of the question. Then in return for the jigs they gave you must sell them in the parking lot of each tournament you attend, give two seminars about their jigs that year as well as work their booth at three sportshows. So, for $10.00 worth of jigs you have expended more than 100 hours of your time plus the expenses of travel, lodging and meals while at the sportshows, etc., but you get to wear a fancy shirt and have kids look at the pro with awe. When in reality you've just been used and you essentially paid them to do it to you. I'll take sponsorships all day as long as it's mutually benefitial for both. The W.I.I.F.M. (what's in it for me) has got to go both ways equally.

The very best advise I can give you concerning sponsorships is this -- just go do what you're going to do. In the process, you're going to meet folks and if in due course you are good enough at what you do the sponsors will come to you or you will be able to approach them with something real to offer.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Well said Darryl, Capps and Coleman are without a doubt the BEST at catching crappie. In their book they clearly explain that the sponsorship is just not what it should be, I know this book was written several years ago, and since they have gained a bunch of publicity and sponsorship, but this is the first year I've noticed their names on a product. It takes alot of time and money(your own), not to mention skill to go and make a showing at these events. The right people are at these tournaments and can help you with what you're looking for. It is a very rewarding experience to prove yourself against others at these unbelievably competitive events. I'm not trying to discourage you from any of your endeavors, just giving some advice as to what to expect. Fish every tournament you can and don't worry about the sponsorship, it will present itself with dedication.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my 7th year of fishing professionally. The first two were doing tournaments and the rest as a guide. I did 163 trips last year where folks (real consumers actively in the market for buying products) actually get hands-on/eyes-on experience with all the equipment I use. Plus, I have a website that gets 1000's of unique hits per month. The resume of benefit to sponsors goes on. This is far more than what a tournament fisherman, even those that might win a classic championship, has to offer. And, just now there might be a sponsorship from Shakespeare on the horizon that is genuinely beneficial. It does take time.

In jest, I sill haven't heard from ole Johnny Morris (might be my distant cousin founder and CEO of Bass Pro and Tracker Marine who now owns Kenner Boats) ensuring I'm fishing from a brand new Kenner. I'm in the market for a new bay boat for my business and in light of the advertising and marketing benefit I have to offer, I think all the manufacturers should be making an effort to at least give me a first-rate deal. I've been seeking quotes since before Christmas and I still haven't seen a number yet. I'm not going to hold my breath. Not only is their primary purpose selling their product, some of them aren't very good at it anyway. I'm appalled at the lack of customer service, but I've just got to hold my tongue and pretend all is good in the world just in case I might get a livable deal.

Nor has Suzuki or any other outboard motor company made any effort. They're just not in the business of giving sponsorships. They're in the business of making money and they're going to spend their marketing and advertising money elsewhere. Wow, those are really big ticket items. Okay, not a problem, I also use 8 BnM rods in my boat and probably half or more get replaced every year and I've paid for every last one of them. Heck, the last time I called and asked a question all ole Jack Wells did was try to sell me two of his most expensive rods and never did answer my question. I sure hope this deal with Shakespeare and Ugly Stik works out. There are other rod makers and sellers out there, I could mention some names, but where are they making sure all the rods I use are theirs and in tip-top shape so my clients will go out and buy their stuff? I'm still waiting for those great and wonderful companies like Shimano, Thill, Berkley, Eagle Claw, Slaters, Driftmaster, Minnkota, Humminbird, Garmin, just to name a few. These are all products I own and use every day in my guide service and, like I said before, hundreds of people get to use themselves.

(If by chance any of you manufacturers read this post and want to repent of your ways, the link to my website is below. I answer my number 24-hours a day.) But here's one more piece of advise more than it just takes time. Don't ever accept a sponsorship of any kind, to any degree, from a company that you cannot truly recommend their products. If you don't use their products yourself and you can't honestly stand behind their products don't accept the sponsorship. If you do, you're just selling youself and your reputation, cheap, and it will backfire on you.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

fishforfree Guest

CrappieMagnet....thanks for getting my back!!

If any of you are going to be in Birmingham, AL on Sat. Feb. 24th at 7 pm I will be conducting a free sponsorship seminar - no catch, no strings attached, nada.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to find sponsorship myself, and actually just ordered Scott's book. If it helps, it pays for itself. If not, heck, it's 15 degrees outside! What else am I gonna do but read. I've already looked at my tacle so many times I could puke. Last year was my first year fishing tournaments. I actually got really lucky and got a partial sponsorship (store credit) from a local boat and tackle dealer, and it helped a ton. I just happened to contact him at the time he was getting curious about crappie tournaments himself. All we had to do was pass out cards and brochures at our events and wear shirts and hats with the company logo. I also put decals from them on the boat. No more time spent than I would already be spending at the event anyway. Not sure if they are onboard for '07 yet or not, but it was a good experience. Even if he doesn't help me out this year, that is a relationship I have made that may help down the road if I find some more success. Just remember, they are looking for advertising their product/business, not really in riding your success. I am assuming you are not asking for sponsorship for the Bassmaster Elite series or anything. Anyway, I think a lot of landing sponsors is luck and being in the right place at the right time. Also, I learned from finding sponsors for softball teams when I first started playing that most businesses don't want to pay the whole deal. Try to get a few small sponsors, and maybe get the shirt made up yourself with all of their logos on it. $50 here and $100 there and your entry fees are taken care of. I am in the process of trying that, and have one small one lined up already, and working on more. They don't have to be fishing related. If a company will pay to put their name on a jersey to advertize to a bunch of drunk ball players, I can't see why they won't do the same for some exposure at a fishing tournament.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You...