Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Furnace Misbehaving? This might help. OFF TOPIC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Furnace Misbehaving? This might help. OFF TOPIC

Yesterday evening we got home and the house was cool. We had been turning it on and off according to the weather, so I thought maybe it had been turned off. This morning it was a little to cool for these old bones, so I went to turn it on at the thermostat. The temp reading was 63, but set at 68. I had to get to work, so I went to the electric panel and turned it off for 30-seconds, then switched it back on. I heard it start up and things sounded normal. As I went out the door, I heard it kick off (not at 68).
    Got home this evening and checked things out. Looking at the front of the furnace, you'll see a clear peep hole.

Inside you will see a red light. The led light blinks a code. There will be a long pause, then a number of blinks followed by another number of blinks. This is the code that your furnace is letting to know what is wrong. My code was long pause followed 3-blinks followed by 4-blinks (led code 34).

One symptom of #34 is Oxide buildup on flame sensor (clean with fine sandpaper).
    Lift the top portion off with help of a screw driver to pry up.

This what my upper portion looks like.

The blue flame kept kicking on but won't stay on for more than 15-20 seconds. It would try again (3 times) and then shut down. Next, I removed the lower cover, which shut the power off with this switch.

This what my lower portion looks like.

You can observe the board for any MR. OBVIOUS problems. (burnt, discolored, bad odor, ect)

Mine looked good so I moved on to the flame sensor. The flame sensor is located somewhere around the burner tubes. It is electrical, so your looking for a single wire. Mine is (white wire) located below the burner tubes.

A simple 1/4" socket is needed to remove one hex head screw. Turn it to the left to unscrew and turn right to re-tighten later.

This is my flame sensor. It didn't look bad or any build up. I took a dollar bill cloth and sanded the sensor. Be sure to not touch it, which adds oil.

Reinstalled the sensor. Put the covers back on and life is back to good.

30-min fix, including clean-up. Hope this helps and saves you from paying a service tech your hard earned cash. Now you can donate it to Yates at a crappie tourney coming to your neighbor hood.

BE SMART AND TURN THE FURNACE POWER OFF AT THE BREAKER BOX.
    BE SMART AND SAFE!
    Heading back to the couch.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Herb
    I'm going to have to keep this in mind for the future.

Good idea to use these threads for "off topic" Nothing much else gets posted here.