Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Flooded oxbow fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flooded oxbow fishing

What can you do to catch the fish in the oxbows when the rivers are backed up into them? The lake near where I live is Old River at Innis. It nearly impossible for me to find crappies there when it's flooded and the water is murky. All this rain lately has really messed it up. In fact, nearly every year at spawning time, this lake is flooded, so spawning time is not good for crappie there. The best fishing here is when the water goes back down and crappie go into their summer patterns. Any advice on how to get them at this difficult time?

Post Thanks / Like

If the backwater covers a very large area, the fishing can be very tough. On our old river lakes, there's a certain river stage that brings a lot of the water back in the main lake. It's different, up and down the river. When the river gets near this gage, as it's falling, the fishing really picks up. Then it's just a matter of finding the pattern, what the fish like. I start with the dead snags and work in toward the green trees. They may be on the outside edges or somewhere in the woods, just behind the outer line of green trees. Also, look for flooded ditches or drains that you can boat up and find smaller sloughs and lakes, back in the woods. These are often hotspots. Good luck. Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Davy...
    You stand a chance if the water isn't dropping fast and it's not too muddy. I've done well before the water starts dropping by fishing the new ground that the flood has covered with both jigs and minnows. They find good forage in insects, minnows, shad fry, tadpoles etc. in the newly flooded ground. If it's not too deep, I like to wade with a 9' fly rod w/jigs, and work the thick brush. (Not a good idea if there are 'gators) If you have a pirogue it's the next best thing, it can be tight in the trees and brush. If the water is dropping quickly, might as well go to the first dropoffs w/ your sounder, they can be found, but don't always bite. Good luck!

Louisiana Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Pooch, we almost doubled on that one. Didn't mean to upstage you, I was typing while you were posting. What are the odds?

Lousiana Bill