Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Grass Carp?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Many Grass Carp?

If you have a 5 1/2 acre pond how many grass carp? I've heard 15 an acre and I've heard 20 an acre. I purchased 40 the other day and also wondering how long before they start munching away. Should I wait a couple of weeks before poisoning the lily pads? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

man that is a lot, them things will go nuts and eat everything is site, I put four in a 1 acre pond and they destroyed the pond , ate every green thing in sight,,,, finally got them out and two years later things are getting back to normal.... hope you come out better.... by the way they smoked up nice on the smoker....

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! so you smoked them?! LOL! I'll pass on that, I had smoked gar before and boy was it n..a..s..t..y! Beagle Man did they eat your Lily pads too?

Post Thanks / Like

they ate every single piece of green, all of it. so Yes they did....

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle did that ruin your smoker??????

Post Thanks / Like

dfar nope, but the cats won't come around anymore
    Likes vic n, Eatmorecrappie, dfar, DMW1960 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Be careful. We had a 55 acre HOA lake south of KC. Fishing paradise in the metro. Some moron didn't like the grasses, convinsed them to dump a bunch of grass carp in here. We used to catch huge red ear, fat fighting, flittable red ear. They are starving. Bass used to be good game. Now, look they are starving. Grass carp are 4-6' long...yes... FEET LONG and rule the lake. We caught one just shy of 50#. Lake is ruined. I haven't fished it like I used to for years.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Gordon you need to take up bowfishing for them carp. It is a lot of fun once you figure out how far to aim below the fish.......
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We normally recommend 1 to 2 grass carp per acre to start. The guy selling you carp will recommend more. As they grow, they eat more and more. If you stock at too high of a rate, they eat all the vegetation, begin rooting around in the bottom for food, stir up the sediment, and turn a pond into a mud hole (underwater pigs). We also recommend 20-30% of vegetation coverage around a shoreline. Fish need vegetation to feed, grow, spawn, hide, etc.
    Likes vic n, LSL Angler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well lily pads of course but a lot and I mean a lot of that watershield. I would say about a 1/3 of the pond has watershield and it's so thick. That's what I hoping they will eat. Also a little bladderwort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast