Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Number of rods question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Number of rods question.

I saw a boat out on the lake the other day that had me scratching my head. They had rods set up around the entire perimeter of their boat. I appeared to be about a 15 ft. boat and must have had a minimum of 18 rods, maybe more.

Is there a number of rods that you can reasonably handle and catch crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I have 12 stuck out of the boat. I think that is why they call it spider rigging because the boat looks like a big spider with legs at a distance. It is not legal in some states and even in some lakes so it is best to check with the laws to be sure you are legal.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

there was a fellow in SC guess he's still on here, goes by Rango he's got a 20' maybe a little longer, center console he calls the beast. It has, I think, 32 rod holders all the way around it. Always wanted to see that in action.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I always carry 6 rods for casting and jigging and 8 trolling rods...hmmm....14 rods in a 16' jon boat....it's ok for me.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I was a hard core long line troller for quite a few years and 18 rods were my standard setup. That's too many for 2 people if the crappie are biting pretty good. Sometimes they bite so well that 2 rods per person is all that can be handled well. Of course, if there not biting, 18 or 24 or what ever number you want is NO problem.
    Likes Idunno LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post. I wondering about the number of rods and being able to handle that many that I see in posting. No problem here, only allowed two and you need to buy a two pole stamp.
    Good luck everyone and stay safe.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally put out 8 - 12 rods, and I fish by myself. It keeps me busy--I just go around and check all the baits, then start over again.
    Likes speckle75 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    there was a fellow in SC guess he's still on here, goes by Rango he's got a 20' maybe a little longer, center console he calls the beast. It has, I think, 32 rod holders all the way around it. Always wanted to see that in action.
    I bet when he runs into a school of white bass a two day confession session would be in order !
    Likes speckle75, Mike1234, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

saw a pic of this boat on here 3 or 4 years ago, it looked like it was taken from a high point and that boat looked like a centipede on water. A man would go bonkers if he ran thru a school of crappie for sure.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

We wished to use 8-10 each. We feel like we have become efficient enough now that we can catch just as many on 4 rods each. You never really know how many you miss when you have more rods out than you can keep your eyes on.

Saw a guy here on Wheeler one day in a 12' jon boat. He was sitting in the back with the trolling motor pushing the boat forward. Had poles all around the boat, 12 or 14. He would get up run to the front and snatch the pole up and the fish would be gone. Run to the back to grab another and it would be gone. During this time the boat would now be going in circles. It was just about as fun to watch as it was to catch fish that day. I did end up seeing him put 2 fish in the boat...
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle