Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever seen or heard of this?

Okay so I had went to the creek this afternoon and caught a few crappie then around 3 or so they quit biting so I moved on to carp fishin'. Caught five then remembered I has some buffalo bait in the truck that I was gonna try out so I grabbed it then but a small dough ball on the hairline rig I made and threw it out. Not even less than a minute later the line went slack so I set the hook and caught a 1.3lb crappie on homemade buffalo. I've never seen or ever heard of this kinda thing and wanted to see if anyone has ever seen or heard of it themselves. The buffalo bait mainly consisted of dough, black pepper, alot of paprika, and a little red food coloring. I still can't figure out why I caught it on dough bait.

Thanks and Tight Lines.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen coyotes eat corn out of a feeder. In the wild you can't be so picky as I only want the number 7 combo. Animals make a meal out of whatever is available at the time.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing it was the scent. Crappie nibbles is a dough type bait that has a lot of scent it it already. I doctor mine up by sprauing on some anise and rolling them in garlic salt and setting them in the sun to firm up a little. Then I add them on the hook after I put the plastic lure on the jig.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

X2 ^^
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where the scent come into play. I'm guessing my crappie like spicy food I'll be sure and watch there behavior maybe they'll like spicy colored jigs next time lol.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by younggun27 View Post
    I can see where the scent come into play. I'm guessing my crappie like spicy food I'll be sure and watch there behavior maybe they'll like spicy colored jigs next time lol.
    Hey ... don't laugh too quickly --- there's a coffee scented bait called a "caffeine shad" that's pretty popular among the bassin boys

Smallest they come in is the 4" "Jr" ... but, it's probably only a matter of time before it comes in Crappie sizes. Heck ... Strike King already has the coffee "scent" on the market !!

... cp

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been putting a spoonfull of coffee grounds in the zip lock bags with my soft plastics for a long time.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna have to try that out. If y'all say it works I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks for the tip and something new to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been putting a spoonfull of coffee grounds in the zip lock bags with my soft plastics for a long time.
    Decaffeinated or Regular? If regular, do the crappie fight harder being amped up on caffeine?
    WarEagle Black Hawk 961
    115 Yamaha 4 stroke
    Minn Kota riptide

Post Thanks / Like

Lol good one never thought of it that way haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast