Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 Stroke vs 2 which?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 Stroke vs 2 which?

Looking to buy a boat. Found several but some are four stroke and some two. I don't make long hi speed runs very often. Like to scan areas and run SI as I move along. I noticed that there seems to be about 3k add on for exact same boat with the four in the used market. Which and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie habits and myself are on our third boat. We've had a 40 horse merc outboard 2 stroke, a jet drive bass tracker with a 175 horse merc inboard oil injected 2 stroke. We now run a 90 horse 4 stroke merc and We wouldn't trade it for ten 2 strokes. The fuel economy is noticeably better by a lot. It's also very very quiet. As in you can run full throttle and talk in the boat no problem. Also the ease of just gas up and go, no oil to worry about with every fill up. Now we do change the engine oil and filter every year, about 65 bucks. And like you we do not desire great speed for long periods of time. That 90 will push our 2072 war eagle about 29 mph which is plenty for us. In my opinion, there is no other option for us. We love it. Good luck in your search.

Ps Honda 4 strokes seem to hold incredible value in the used market.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is my 2 cents worth on this. I like the old 2 strokes because I have some that date back to 1967,1976, 1978,1991 and they still run just as good as when they were bought. I just don't know if the newer 4 strokes will last any where close to 48 years and still be in good shape. Now understand this is just what I think and everyone has their own opinion. Now why I would think the 4 stroke is priced higher is because their are going to be more and more States and Lakes that are going to ban the 2 strokes as environmental laws become greater on oil and gas being put into the water. I do know for a fact that the 2 strokes are more environmentally unfriendly because they use oil thru the combustion to oil the cylinders as where the oil is contained in the 4 strokes for lubrication. I have noticed that some motors are not even offered in 2 stroke anymore. I just hope I am dead and gone on before they ban 2 strokes on my lake because I just love the smell of the old 2 stroke smoke on a early morning fishing trip, it brings back old memories of fishing trips in the past. Well there is my and that won't cost you nothing. Hope you enjoy the new boat which ever one you get.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-05-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes SeaRay, TuckyBoy, Charliee LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, the 4-Stroke engines are quieter and much more fuel efficient than their 2-Stroke counterparts. However, most 4's are not as "powerful" (hp to hp) as the 2's, as far as top end speeds go. And the hole shots are longer as well. But each year they are making greater and greater innovations to the newer 4's and I suspect that within the next few years, they will be just as efficient.

The 4's are also more "green" as far as emissions go, so, if you are so inclined, that's just another consideration. Finally, you just add the oil to your 4-cycle engine, as opposed to having to mix oil with each tank of gas you use with the 2's. The 4-strokes are very similar to a car engine in this respect.

The one other consideration is that with the newer 4-cycle engines, you should install a water separator between the gas tank and the engine. And just like with the 2's, make sure you use a good fuel additive to off-set that garbage gasoline that the Government has forced down our throats, with ethanol additives. I recommend StarTron, which I use in all the gas put in my small engines (outboards, lawnmowers & snowblowers).
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Whaler : The 4 strokes are more like a car engine. No mixing gas and oil. 4 strokes are much quieter, no smoke and stink and get better fuel economy. I still have a 2 stroke till I can afford a 4 stroke. Had a small 4stroke on my old boat and loved it but needed a bigger boat. Found a bigger boat that had a 2 stroke on it with low hours so I went with it. I think the 4 stroke is the way to go if possible. Good Luck this season. O - R

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 3 boats with 2 strokes from 50-150 hp..I now have a 60HP suzuki four stroke..If you like to idle around and graph as I do the 4s is the way to go..They will idle all day without loading up and also seem easier to keep at a slow speed..Start very easy and easier on fuel as well as not having to mix gas and oil or buy oil to fill oil tank..So initial cost is greater for the 4 but operating cost will be less..IMO

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy a lot of gas for 3,000.00.
    Likes scrat, MorganT69 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Easy question. Four stroke for all the reasons mentioned above.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kywareagle View Post
    Crappie habits and myself are on our third boat. We've had a 40 horse merc outboard 2 stroke, a jet drive bass tracker with a 175 horse merc inboard oil injected 2 stroke. We now run a 90 horse 4 stroke merc and We wouldn't trade it for ten 2 strokes. The fuel economy is noticeably better by a lot. It's also very very quiet. As in you can run full throttle and talk in the boat no problem. Also the ease of just gas up and go, no oil to worry about with every fill up. Now we do change the engine oil and filter every year, about 65 bucks. And like you we do not desire great speed for long periods of time. That 90 will push our 2072 war eagle about 29 mph which is plenty for us. In my opinion, there is no other option for us. We love it. Good luck in your search.

Ps Honda 4 strokes seem to hold incredible value in the used market.
    pushes my Lund 1725 Explorer Crappie Edition 38-42 mph gps all day. And it's so quiet I've been known to come back to the console after fishing up front to find the motor is still running. Course, I'm near deaf.
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what you do. Two strokes are great for speed and power, also easy maintence. Four stroke are slower but also great for idling around and trolling. Four strokes use less gas and oil and are much quieter. I can say this much I run a two stroke and I fish a lot of places where I have to idle. I am prefixing fuel and have a lot of unburned oil. Due to this I have to run seafoam pretty regularly to clean the carbon out of the motor and plugs. Just an example of where a four stroke would come in handy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast