Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulling Bandit 300's with Planer Boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Bandit 300's with Planer Boards

To anyone who has used planer boards,
    Could I pull Bandit 300's 100-150 ft back with OffShore Tackle Mini Planer Boards. The OR34s. I might also pull berkley flicker shads. Or would I need the OR 12s
    ADAPT OR DIE
    AND KEEP THE CHANGE-HANK JR.

Post Thanks / Like

Not when there are lice on the lake. They like to run over them. Sorry, I have to get it out of my system somewhere before I go home today. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You don't need to pull them that far back with boards. 80 ft is about as far as I put them. Boards going to carry them to the outside far enough to not be disturbed by boat. I usually run out about 45-60 ft then attach board then how ever far you want it from boat.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

NickD is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They will work fine behind the OR-34 Mini boards. We pull deep diving cranks with tadpoles with them. As far as the distance behind the board, it is totally dependent on how deep you want the bait to go. The depth is calculated by the length behind the board. The best way to figure out depth is with the Precision Trolling App. They also have individual stickers you can buy. It is the most accurate depth data available. PRECISION TROLLING | thenextbite.tv
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the advantage of using the mini compared to using the OR-12 with a tattle-tail flag?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    What would be the advantage of using the mini compared to using the OR-12 with a tattle-tail flag?

What I like about the Mini is that it's so light on the line. It's easy to tell if theres a small fish on. Another advantage is if you're just getting started with planer boards, you can use any rod with them. They will pull anything you use for crappie. As far as performance, the OR-12's with a Tattle Flag are still the best way to go. They float upright even when standing still and can go a long ways out to the side. The are more expensive but will last a lifetime if you take care of them, there are plenty of walleye tournament fishermen with 15 year old boards. You will need a stiffer rod with a good backbone and a level wind reel. With an 8 rod set up, I like to run 2-OR-12's out each side on the far outside with 2 OR-34 Mini's on the inside, or just one Mini and a dead rod out the back corners.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Official Off Shore Tackle Youtube channel:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3E...-nRh4HnQw/feed

Post Thanks / Like

I like my OR-34 mini boards with bandit 300's and flicker shads for crappie fishing inland lakes because they are easy to handle when fighting a crappie and they store so much easier on my jon boat than the bigger boards.

Post Thanks / Like

I much prefer the larger dual boards and using a mast when planerboarding cranks. Much more efficient for me and less surging/bobbing when it gets windy. The micro sized planerboards don't work with cranks for me, I guess I like going too fast and/or my cranks dive too deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    What I like about the Mini is that it's so light on the line. It's easy to tell if theres a small fish on. Another advantage is if you're just getting started with planer boards, you can use any rod with them. They will pull anything you use for crappie. As far as performance, the OR-12's with a Tattle Flag are still the best way to go. They float upright even when standing still and can go a long ways out to the side. The are more expensive but will last a lifetime if you take care of them, there are plenty of walleye tournament fishermen with 15 year old boards. You will need a stiffer rod with a good backbone and a level wind reel. With an 8 rod set up, I like to run 2-OR-12's out each side on the far outside with 2 OR-34 Mini's on the inside, or just one Mini and a dead rod out the back corners.
    I may have to give the offshore minis a try. The last time I used an off brand mini with a Bandit 300 they didn't go very far out to the side of the boat. They didn't seem to have enough surface area to offset the drag created from the Bandit 300 at 1.8 mph.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    I may have to give the offshore minis a try. The last time I used an off brand mini with a Bandit 300 they didn't go very far out to the side of the boat. They didn't seem to have enough surface area to offset the drag created from the Bandit 300 at 1.8 mph.
    Here is a pic I found that shoes the Minis pulling #5 Flicker Shads. The boards are a little hard to see to the right of my Dad, but it's the best one I could find. If you're looking to get a long ways from the boat the OR-12's would be better, but I'd be surprised if the Minis wouldn't do the job. We pull the Minis up to 3 mph. They do go a little farther behind the boat, but wide enough to have a good spread and keep from getting tangled.

Name:  IMG_3121_zps6ihmu9a4.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  52.0 KB
    [IMG][/IMG]