Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reels

Do any of you guys have the Slab Seeker spinning reels and do you like them??
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I just purchased one from grizzly jigs....I haven't used it yet...But, I don't like the line capacity...I think you can only put 6lb test at 60...But, I will be vertical jigging with it at all times..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Jeremy .....

Quote Originally Posted by jcd
    Hi,

I just purchased one from grizzly jigs....I haven't used it yet...But, I don't like the line capacity...I think you can only put 6lb test at 60...But, I will be vertical jigging with it at all times..

Jeremy
    Thanks
    Bye
    Why do you think you need more than 60yds of line, for vertical jigging ? 60yds is 180ft of line ... which means you won't use more than 1/5 of the spool capacity to vertical jig at 36ft !! Even considering that you don't normally FILL the spool to complete capacity (leaving approx 1/8" of spool capacity empty) ... you still would have, say ... 150ft of line left.
    When I first started "Vertical Casting" a jig (over 20yrs ago) ... I was using a Zebco micro sized reel (one of those tiny jobs, that you could close your hand around). I think they held 50ft of 4lb line, or something like that. Didn't matter, though, since I was only dropping the jig down about 20ft MAX (usually not more than 10-15ft, though). Even when casting with these reels, a cast of 30ft was way more than adequate. And since I was using BPS Excel mono line (back then), I could respool several times a year ... and the cost was mere pennies per respooling. Considering that, normally, one only uses (loses) the top 1/3 of the spools line length ... before it's time to respool. Even in your case, that would leave 40yds of line on the spool, which you would be removing/replacing (if you stripped the spool bare). That's 120ft of wasted line !! You'd be better off by removing only 1/2 of the spools line capacity, and tying fresh line onto the top 1/2 of the spool. That would still give you about 90ft of line depth to use. And if you find yourself breaking off so much that you are having to respool very often .... there's two ways of looking at that, or dealing with it. One - you'll only be replacing a short length of line, but will have good fresh line on, in most instances. And a filler spool of quality mono will last quite a long time. Two ... if that doesn't set well with you -- try using weedless jigheads :D You won't be snagging up quite as often, then.

As to the "Slabseeker" ... I had one of the original ones, from years back. Lost it, when a Hybrid Striper yanked it out of the boat (didn't use pole holders in those days :rolleyes: ) while I was busy doing something else. As best I can remember, it worked OK, as far as the pin holding the line to return to the same depth. I wasn't into jig casting, back then, as much as using minnows .. so I can't comment on quality & longevity (since I didn't have it for more than one season). Nowadays, if I want to control depth ... I just use a slip float (minnows), or guesstimate (tightline). I don't vertical jig ... instead, I usually Vertical Cast. ....... cp

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by vertical cast, Pappy?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Here ya go Wills ....

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    What do you mean by vertical cast, Pappy?
    http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm

....... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article, CP....I've read it before but never associated it with you and this forum...LC

Post Thanks / Like

Default reels

What about the Wally Marshall crappie reels that they sell in Bass Pro Shops?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep...

My wife and I use the Slab Seeker combo's, we like em. I think if you're fishing straight down with jigs they are great. don't cast too far but shouldn't have to if you're over a nice school of fish. A light jig will still bend that Tap Action Tip, so you can see when a crappie sets just a bit of slack in the line as he mouths it. Snach on it and you're hooked up into the roof of the mouth more often than not. http://tinyurl.com/ymfwq4
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, Pappy for reminding me of your article. That's some real good pointers. preciate it.