Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig head color choice? Wanting to try powder painting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig head color choice? Wanting to try powder painting.

Hey guys,
    Last few year I have fished plain jig heads. I tie my own jigs and bucktails, also fish plastics. I am want to try doing some powder painting and want to get some colors to try my hand at.
    I'm not wanting to spend a chunk on powder paint so I want to narrow my selection down a bit. I'm going to get chartreuse and maybe black? What else?
    I like to just get 3 or maybe 4 colors at most for now. Thanks.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Floro orange and floro pink.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with cray, Flor. orange and hot pink and use the black and chart. Try to use a different color than your tube, such as red head on black and char. tube
    just gives another color to key in on. mix em up. good luck. ps if you smoke your mold or use candle to heat the head, the paint will chip off more easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I use painted heads 1/2 the time but most times when fishing brush with multiple tie on's the fish do not care if the head is painted or not. One of my friends will not use any painted heads but will not throw a jig without a crappie nibble, most times he catches more than I do. good luck !!

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a painted jig head but not 100% sure it makes a difference. Red is my main color but pink, flo orange, chartreuse, white.
    Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

Pink

Post Thanks / Like

I use chart, pink, orange and red the most.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1-check out the jig pouring and painting board. Lots of answers to your questions there.
    2 - If you don't want to fight with the wife, buy a cheap toaster oven to cure the paint. The pro tec powder paint left a residue around the edge of the door. I'f I had done that to mama's I would have a kitchen stove in the grudge.
    3 - A heat gun, about $20 from lowes or wally, mine is a wagner, is the easiest, cleanest way to heat the heads. There are other options but this also has other uses.
    4 - I started with black, white, chartreuse, blue, and pink. I still have the blue, don't use it much. I have about 40 colors out there now, bought one or two as needed and was given a boxful by Cane Pole. I'll never have to buy any more.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes CrappieFlopper, bigdude LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

good morning, it only takes a few seconds on the heat, for crappie jigs up to1/4oz start with hook in pliers or forceps hook up rotate over flame count of 2 bottom-side2-top2-other side2. about 10sec. total. dip into paint if it is hot enough the paint will turn slick if not hot enough just stick over flame (won't take long). I also made a rack out of 3 pieces of wood bottom is 15 to 18 inches long and two sides are about 10 to12 tall I ran 4 horizional wires about 3in. between them. fine pitcher hanging wire. will hold 100 plus freshly painted heads. (note) make the wire tight enough to stay straight under the weight or the heads will slide together and ruin the paint hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help. Going to pic up some powder today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast