Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rock-It Fish Scaler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rock-It Fish Scaler

I was at a pawn shop and this torpedo looking stainless fish basket caught my eye. I checked it out a little closer and it's supposed to be a fish scaler.

I looked at their website and you're supposed to tow it behind your boat around 15-20 mph so that it bounces in your wake and I guess it beats the fish against the expanded metal knocking off their scales and slime coat.

Has anyone ever used one of these contraptions?

I ended up buying it for $15 so I'm not out much even if it's just a gimmick.

Post Thanks / Like

It works, but don't pull it at 15 or 20 MPH. Just a good fast idle
    Minnermatics Prostaff
    My wife lets me buy all the rods and reels I can hide.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good deal, as they retail for around $90 ... but, it's $15 down the drain if you don't use it or prefer to filet your fish.

There's a thread from back in 2005 that it was discussed in ... and the ad read as follows :

"The Rock-IT Automatic Fish Scaler completely deslimes and descales up to 50 pansize fish in minutes. The Rock-it Fish Scaler is manufactured with galvanized and stainless steel. To use the Rock-it Fish Scaler, get your boat up 14 to 17 mph and slowly feed the Rock-it Fish Scaler out behind the boat until it rides on the crest of the boat's wake. The Rock-it Fish Scaler should be pulled behind your boat for about 100 to 200 hundred yards. The angled fins on the Rock-it Fish Scaler allow it to rotate as the water flows through and automatically deslimes and descales your fish. The Rock-it Fish Scaler also doubles as a livewell."

And according to this :
    http://www.rockitfishscaler.com/ ... it's been "improved" since 2012 (better nose cone swivel & more welds).

I even saw one website where a "vintage" one was sold on eBay for $67 .... so if you don't like it, or use it, that may be a profitable way to get rid of it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Had one and sold it at my parents estate auction. It does work, but much easier to ice the fish down, bring them home and fillet them. A lot of extra work to put them in and take them out of that basket. If you like frying whole fish without the head, then this is the ticket to de-slime and descale.

Post Thanks / Like

Just cut the heads off and it will scale and gut. Works great
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll double your money.

"I just can't fish with one pole anymore"
    Black Fish Crappie Charters
    www.blackdoghuntingclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.

I usually fillet all of my catch but occasionally I will leave a mess of gills whole.

It also might make fish easier to fillet if it gets rid of the slime coat.

I'll give it a shot and see how well it works. Just hope I don't lose a basket of fish in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

Works good for people who like their fillets with skin on. Don't overload and it works good.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't overload it, pull only at idle, and be sure to tie off with good rope. I saw one rip the cleat right off a boat. They were going to fast and had over 80 fish in it. Plus, alcohol was involved.