Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Just saying Hello

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just saying Hello

Hello everyone....I'm a new member and just wanted to give a little info about myself....I'm 53 years old and drive a truck over the road...I'm making an effort to get back into hunting and fishing...I live in Tupelo, Ms with my mother, who has had two strokes....So, time is limited to hunting and fishing....But I'm trying to build my fishing inventory up just the same......I've searched the net for fishing forums and looks like this board is as good as it gets on crappie info....

My first question is, "what is the reel preferences of the member's here"? I have three rods so far...A 12' Sam Heaton super sensitive and a 7' Sam Heaton super sensitive....Any suggestions on a quality spinning reel in the $60-80 range???? Thanks, Dwight

Billbob is online now Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LC come to sardis from jan 11th till??
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What's going on in Sardis??? Fished there a couple of time years ago....LC

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation LC ......... Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderCowboy
    Hello everyone....I'm a new member and just wanted to give a little info about myself....I'm 53 years old and drive a truck over the road...I'm making an effort to get back into hunting and fishing...I live in Tupelo, Ms with my mother, who has had two strokes....So, time is limited to hunting and fishing....But I'm trying to build my fishing inventory up just the same......I've searched the net for fishing forums and looks like this board is as good as it gets on crappie info....

My first question is, "what is the reel preferences of the member's here"? I have three rods so far...A 12' Sam Heaton super sensitive and a 7' Sam Heaton super sensitive....Any suggestions on a quality spinning reel in the $60-80 range???? Thanks, Dwight
    Depending on what size/weight spinning reel you would want to place on those rods ....... look at the Shimano lineup. Solstace, Sedonna, Sahara, Spirex, and Symetre all run within your suggested price range. You would, of course, want to match & balance the reels against the rods -- for proper balance & feel, as it applies to your tastes.
    Every member will have a favorite reel, or brand, whether it be Shimano, Okuma, Pfleuger, Mitchell, or whatever. Size of reel should match the designated main use of the rod, as in what method is most often used with that particular outfit. Casting purposes may require a different size or model, than tightline or vertical jigging would. You would want to look at the features incumbent with each model, regardless of brand, to see which offered those features that you require in a quality reel .... such as ball bearing count, spool length/width, handle type, front/rear drag, trigger bail or regular bail, and overall size & weight.
    Whatever brand/model you choose ........... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Pflueger president 6720-6725-6730 all three of those are awesome reels for around 60 bucks...super smooth and durable you cant go wrong.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info....So, you're saying if the rod is reccomended for 2-6 lb line, get a reel that's reccomended to use 2-6 lb line, and so on....

Crappiepappy, you must be a shamano fan....

bugman, I got the opprotunity to get the feel of the Pfluger Medalist and President at the Sidney, Ne Cabela's a few months ago....But I ordered the Okuma avenger 20 last night from cabela's...I ordered three reels, all for 6lb test...They were only $30 each...6+1 carbon stainless bearings...I hope I didn't mess up....I figured if I didn't like em I wouldn't have much invested and could change as time went on...I racked my brain for months tryin to figure out what was the best bearings and such....Thanks for the info fella's....LC

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Lc ....

Quote Originally Posted by LavenderCowboy
    Thanks for the info....So, you're saying if the rod is reccomended for 2-6 lb line, get a reel that's reccomended to use 2-6 lb line, and so on....

Crappiepappy, you must be a shamano fan....

Thanks for the info fella's....LC
    Yeah, I've got a few Shimano's :D ... but, I also use Mitchells, Shakespeares, and a Zebco. They're currently matched up to rods for specific methods, or situations. Since I'm mostly a jig slinger, and use 4lb & 6lb test lines, my rods range from 5ft to 8ft ... from lite action to med action. Generally, I'll take 3-4 outfits on any outing ... which ones they are, depends on the lake and what methods I'm most likely to have to use there. I've matched the reels to the rods for balance & feel (comfort in use), as well as for purpose.
    I've heard good things about Okuma's, but don't own any. Got to "play" with one at a local business, when I was in the market for a reel for my BnM FnF Rod. I ended up buying a Mitchell 308X ... it just felt better and balanced the rod better than the Okuma, or the 500 or 1000 series Shimano Spirex's I looked at. Now, that's not to say that another person's choice would have been the same. I've even matched my "other" BnM FnF Rod, with a UL Shakespeare ... :D ... so I can go "even lighter" in outfit weight, and still have a 8ft rod in hand.
    My "main" jig casting rod is a Sam Heaton Signature Series 7ft ... matched with a Mitchell Spidercast reel. Were I to have to replace that reel .... a Shimano Spirex 1000 or Mitchell 308X may very well be what I go to, depending on how well either one balances out with the rod.
    All things said and done ... it usually boils down to personal preference on how the reel feels on the rod, experience with the brand, and model features (like drag system, ball bearing count, weight, spool diameter/length, handle type, and line capacity). ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info....That's the problem I have around this area...Gettin to feel of how a combo works together....Not many fishing stores in the area...I've wasted so much gas lookin around I thought it would be cheaper to go ahead and "order off the net" and take my chances....I looked hard at the Mitchell's in the Cabela's catalog, but couldn't make up my mind....I hate Walmart stores...I picked up a Shamano combo to look at it and the reel handle came off in my hand...I turned and walked out....lol....I guess somebody needed some parts off the reel.....Thanks again....LC