Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling cranks in the pre spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling cranks in the pre spawn?

Does anybody have consistent success pulling crankbaits in the early pre spawn period when the fish are staging in the mouths of creeks before moving up shallow? I know most guys don't start until June but I'm eager to try it out.

Post Thanks / Like

never tried it ,would like to know myself

Post Thanks / Like

Caught them last yr. in 56 degree water.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA
    Likes chaunc, Yodibuzz, rcornish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why you wouldn't, they still eat bait fish year round
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yep
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be pullin some of them cranks MR Dux painted for me when I get there in late march. They worked good last fall.
    Likes blueball, rcornish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I pull cranks behind a "Carolina" style set up. That means putting a weight (like 1/2 oz egg sinker) on the main line followedby a bead and then a swivel. On the other end of the swivel, tie about 1 1/2' to 2' leader (I mostly use 10# fluorocarbon leader material). On the business end of the leader, tie on the crankbait. This time of year I have found moving about 0.5 to 0.8 miles and hour works much better. As the water warms, I gradually increase speed. About the maximum speed is 1.5 mph.
    This photo is from two days ago. The crappie was on a Matzuo Nano Cranker and 1/2" shy of the lake record. I hope this helps.

Name:  CanyonF 2-25-15.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  69.3 KB

Teach 'Em to Fish Guide Service

210-771-0123

Exchange Stress for Relaxation, Fun and Memories!
    Barry
    Likes Chief79, Tn Johnboy, skeetbum, rcornish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TETF View Post
    I pull cranks behind a "Carolina" style set up. That means putting a weight (like 1/2 oz egg sinker) on the main line followedby a bead and then a swivel. On the other end of the swivel, tie about 1 1/2' to 2' leader (I mostly use 10# fluorocarbon leader material). On the business end of the leader, tie on the crankbait. This time of year I have found moving about 0.5 to 0.8 miles and hour works much better. As the water warms, I gradually increase speed. About the maximum speed is 1.5 mph.
    This photo is from two days ago. The crappie was on a Matzuo Nano Cranker and 1/2" shy of the lake record. I hope this helps.

Name:  CanyonF 2-25-15.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  69.3 KB
    Great info. Thanks! How much does that 1/2 oz sinker affect the depth your cranks run at speeds of .5 to .8?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The local boys I know of use rods from 7' to 20' long ... line counter reels spooled with 30lb test braid ... swivel on tag end of braid ... 2oz trolling sinker attached to swivel ... 5' of 6lb test mono leader with a clip or swivel attached ... then a Bandit 300 crank. Trolling speed of around 1.8mph is the norm. Best I can remember is this setup with 45ft of line out will put the Bandit down around 12ft deep.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    The local boys I know of use rods from 7' to 20' long ... line counter reels spooled with 30lb test braid ... swivel on tag end of braid ... 2oz trolling sinker attached to swivel ... 5' of 6lb test mono leader with a clip or swivel attached ... then a Bandit 300 crank. Trolling speed of around 1.8mph is the norm. Best I can remember is this setup with 45ft of line out will put the Bandit down around 12ft deep.

... cp
    Any idea why they don't just let out more line to achieve 12 ft depths. I figured the sinker would be used to get deeper at slow speeds like less than 1mph. I'm totally new to pulling cranks but at 1.8mph I wouldn't think the sinker was needed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast