Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a rookie looking for gear tips

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a rookie looking for gear tips

Hello, my name is Todd and i'm from central Alabama. I am 29 years old and have done very little fishing in my lifetime. I recently have gotten a huge desire to fish and I love the taste of Crappie. So I figure Crappie is the fish I want to catch. Almost all that I know about fishing is from what I have read online and in books over the past month. I'm looking for gear advice. What type of reel? Rod length? Live bait or lures? Any advice anyone can give to a brand new Crappie angler is welcome. Thanks!

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume at least at first, you will be bank fishing. I would start with a 6 to 7ft medium light rod with a high quality spinning reel with some 6lb test monofilament low memory line. This will allow you to cast a considerable distance. I would then take a few bucks each paycheck and head down to the local walmart and begin accumulating hooks, sinkers, floats, jigs and other artificial lures such as road runners and rooster tails. I would also become familiar with a slip float and how to use rig it. With that rig, you will be able to catch anything that swims in fresh water. Good luck and I hope in a few months you'll be coaching someone else on how to fish.

Welcome to crappie.com and you are in the right place if you want to learn to catch crappie.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.
    Likes toddarmstrong LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome you going to get all kinds of advice on rods and reels because everyone likes something different. My advice don't skimp on reels go with good name brands. Shimano and pflueger are pretty good I prefer Shimano but like I said it's up to you just don't buy the cheap stuff. As for rods like rcc. Said if you going to fish from the bank go with something 6 to 7foot. Be sure to check in at the Alabama forum too. And good luck.
    Likes RCC, toddarmstrong LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I started out I stayed as simple as possible. Ultra light rod, arbideen hooks size 2, weight, slip bobbers and bobber stoppers and minnow. Can't go wrong there. Good luck and welcome from Illinois.
    Lets go soak a line. Pat
    Likes shipahoy41, toddarmstrong LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't already Todd, go here and read some: http://www.crappie.com/crappie/begin...ntoring-forum/

The advice so far is spot on. I can't imagine not enjoying fishing, but some don't. I don't believe as a beginner you need to buy top of the line equipment until you know your in the game for the duration. Just don't buy cheap as it will only add to frustrations. Good luck and welcome.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.
    Likes shipahoy41, toddarmstrong, Gobob LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I would use the KISS(Keep It Simple Son) formula until you know what you really want and can afford. A good B-n-M or Ugly Stick Light rod and reel combination from Walmart will get you a ton of fish to start with. Then you can upgrade as your finances and desires dictate. A good open face reel, spooled with six pound line is what I would recommend. I myself an usually using a slip float setup. I live in Alabama and the Crappies here are large. I recommend a #2 gold hook tipped with a minnow or soft plastic or a 1/16th jig tipped with a minnow or soft plastic. Here is a diagram of my basic setup

.Name:  Go to slipfloat rig.jpg
Views: 5934
Size:  26.9 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes RCC, toddarmstrong, bowhunter63 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Its hard to beat minnows under a float. It is after all one of their natural food sources. I will second or third on the reels. Spend a little more and get a good one. For rods I used Shakespere 7' light action from Walmart, for under $20. you get a graphite rod with a cork handle. That leaves money in the bank for a reel. I have looked at the more expensive rods and can't feel the difference in the them and the Shakespeare. Bobby Garland Baby Shad are popular here in Alabama. Can't go wrong with Monkey Milk or Electric Chicken for colors to start with a 1\16th or 1\32nd ounce jig head if artificial is the route you want to go. Most of all have fun and enjoy your time on the water.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

# 1 rule = buy the good stuff ! If you decide to sell, it won't last long in the classified section here .
    Likes toddarmstrong, Brian Stucker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

We really could use a bit more information from you! Like do you fish from a boat or bank? What is your budget like as far as how much you want to spend on this rig? Finally, is the water you are fishing rather obstruction free, or is it brushy and snaggy? If we have this information, we can focus our suggestions properly to your needs. Welcome to the insanity! LOL!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I love the advice from Shipahoy. Even a picture!

Wait until you get addicted before you start purchasing the million or so pounds of gear that all of us have in our boats that we never use!
    But, if I was a betting man, by the end of the spring time, you'll be looking for a small used flat bottom boat for the back of your truck.
    By the end of summer, you are looking for a used v bottom with a 40hp and trailer to pull behind your truck.
    By winter time, your buying a new boat with trailer, new truck cause the old one won't pull it, and building a barn on your property to store it all in. Or, just moving all together to a place with a lake and a dock you you can be close to fishing.....

See, it is an addiction! Welcome
    Learn as much as you can and then see if you can tag along with another member on this site. Hit one of the CDC events in your area. Most importantly, if someone says something that you don't understand... ask. This is one of the only forums that I have found where you are not treated like an idiot because you don't know something.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes toddarmstrong, RMGeorge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast