Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how many 3lb. Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default how many 3lb. Crappie

Seen a lot of talk about changing size limits to get bigger crappie now days. Was wondering how common a 3lb crappie is.i have caught some close to 3lb just never weighed them to make sure. I know it's pretty common on some lakes. So how many have you guys caught?

Post Thanks / Like

Never have yet! "Yet" being the operative word. Up here in the north country, a 3 lb. crappie is indeed a very old fish. Probably having survived over 10 years, which is unlikely. However, we do catch a lot of crappie up here and some getting pretty close to that size:

Name:  Crappie1.jpg
Views: 6200
Size:  74.9 KB
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Still hoping. My best was a 2.4 pounder. This is it dwarfing my seven gallon bucket.

Name:  Fish on  7 gallon bucket.JPG
Views: 2981
Size:  72.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Zero. 2 to 2-1/4 biggest I've caught. My Dad caught one over 3 35 yrs ago back water on the river Had Mom mount it on a dinner plate lol
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Close to 25 years ago I was fishing a line of flooded buckbrush on Lake Barkley using a slip-bobber set-up with minnows. I would poke the bait into holes in the brush and if a crappie was there, it was instant action. I hooked and landed the biggest crappie of my life, 3.0 pounds on a reliable scale. I put it in my livewell and continued down the line of brush. Not 5 minutes later and 15 feet from the 1st, I hooked and landed the new largest crappie of my career, 3 pounds 4 ounces. I only ended up with a dozen keepers that morning but the stringer was impressive with several others in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range . This was before my taxidermy business and all fish were filleted. We fished that same line of brush a couple of times over the next few days and never caught another fish over a pound. Saddest part of the whole deal was my Dad couldn't go that morning and I was by myself. The pictures I took have long since been lost to some shoebox somewhere in our closets.

I am yet to top that 3 1/4 pounder.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes crappieslayer60, crp4570 LIKED above post

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on where you are at. If in Mississippi you stand a better chance. Dave Roach caught 5 - 3lb + crappie within 3-4 hours of each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends,,,, do I have to have witnesses???

See a bunch around here in MS. Personally have never caught one, but netted one for my dad on Kentucky lake 16 3/4 inches, full of eggs. No scales though, have to say that is the largest I've ever had in my boat
    Likes TowboatTroller, Erin Brewer LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When on Grenada, Washington, or Arkabutla it can happen at any time and at any time of the year, not just at spawn. 3s are not uncommon here but they arent jumping in the boat either and a trophy the eats very well. Saw 2 weighed and confirm males that were over 3 last year, now thats a PIG, 3 pound mail is uncommon!!
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes warbird, huskerwill, Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest was 1 oz. shy. <Avatar

They are rare around these parts.

Post Thanks / Like

I HAVE CAUGHT A FEW BUT NOT ENOUGH,WIFE WENT WITH ME 2 WEEKS AGO AND CAUGHT HER BIGGEST 3.05,IT IS ON VA BOARD,A HOG .I THOUGHT IT WAS BIGGER BUT WEIGHTED AT BOB CATS
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast