Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gota new toy....

Post Thanks / Like

Default gota new toy....

got a hummingbird helix 5 SI today! well it outa be here this week! research i did says its pretty much a 899 scaled down to a 5" screen- so got a question- i got a lowrance Mark 4 on the boat now ( just broadband sonar, dont have DI transducer) will it bother the signals if i mount the new transducer on the same side of the boat (have to be pretty close to get water flow right) as the old one or should i put it on the other side of the boat? boats a G3 1756- Thanks!!
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that answer, but congtats on the new toy.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes hunter1314 LIKED above post

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The Helix SI and the Mark 4 use the same 2d frequencies ...

If the xducers are close enough together for the beams to overlap ... There is high likelihood of crosstalk interference ...

How much interference ... Hookem up and see ...

If there is crosstalk ... Try turning on (and up) the Noise Filter in the Helix under the Sonar tab ...

You also may be able to set Helix Beam Frequency to 200kHz and the Mark 4 to 83kHz (if the Mark 4 has this option) ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    The Helix SI and the Mark 4 use the same 2d frequencies ...

If the xducers are close enough together for the beams to overlap ... There is high likelihood of crosstalk interference ...

How much interference ... Hookem up and see ...

If there is crosstalk ... Try turning on (and up) the Noise Filter in the Helix under the Sonar tab ...

You also may be able to set Helix Beam Frequency to 200kHz and the Mark 4 to 83kHz (if the Mark 4 has this option) ...

Rickie
    so wouldn't it be better to just avoid the possible problem & put the helix one on the left side of the stern ( mark 4 is on on the right) - i believe to get water flow right they'd need to be within few inches of each other
    My wife swears I only do enough surveying to support my hunting & fishing because I'm too busy hunting & fishing !

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1314 View Post
    so wouldn't it be better to just avoid the possible problem & put the helix one on the left side of the stern ( mark 4 is on on the right) - i believe to get water flow right they'd need to be within few inches of each other
    The 2d beams are cone shaped ... mounting farther apart lessens the likelihood of the beams overlapping ...

But as the water gets deeper ... The cone shaped beams get wider ... Increasing the chances of beam overlap crosstalk ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    The 2d beams are cone shaped ... mounting farther apart lessens the likelihood of the beams overlapping ...

But as the water gets deeper ... The cone shaped beams get wider ... Increasing the chances of beam overlap crosstalk ...

Rickie
    You'll note in this illustration that the transducers are at opposite ends of the boat, and I think you are asking if you can just put one on left side of transom and the other on the right side of transom. The area where crosstalk occurs is where the two beams connect, so if both transducers are on the transom, you will probably have an issue. If you can't get rid of the interference with commands, you may want to have the ability to turn one or the other transducer off so that you can have a good pic with one unit at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    You'll note in this illustration that the transducers are at opposite ends of the boat, and I think you are asking if you can just put one on left side of transom and the other on the right side of transom. The area where crosstalk occurs is where the two beams connect, so if both transducers are on the transom, you will probably have an issue. If you can't get rid of the interference with commands, you may want to have the ability to turn one or the other transducer off so that you can have a good pic with one unit at a time
    yea exactly what i was wondering- if its a problem ill just turn sonar off on the mark 4 then
    Likes vic n LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It would also be better to mount the HELIX 5 Si transducer on the opposite sides of the boat so that the Mark 4 transducer will block less of the Si sonar to that side. The closer it is to the HELIX 5 Si transducer the more of the Si sonar to that side will get blocked, so the farther apart they are the better for the Si sonar too.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can