Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drift socks?and Chains?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks?and Chains?

I live near Grenada lake and have fished it all my life but i am new to trolling. I have an 1860 tracker grizzly and was wondering what size drift sock i would need and also where is the best place to buy one. Was also wondering about pulling chains how do they work and what size would I need. Thanks for any advice I can get.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine grizzly jig have 1648 Lowe and bought I think 52" some run 2 smaller ones I run mine centered in back my chains are long can vary weight of drag by how much u put on bottom total weight probably 15 lbs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift socks?and Chains?

I'd get a BIG sock. Can't go slow enough in a strong wind this time of year, and if you go to slow you ramp up the TM to the speed you want.

Different thoughts from folks on the chains, but I use a 1/2" chain, and with the size of your boat, about 4-5' will work well. If you use smaller diameter chain, you might want 8-10'. The more rope you let on the chain, the more drag you get and the slower you go. With one chain out, even if the boat comes to a stop in lighter or gusting wind, the boat will swing left and right on the rope like a decoy. When you want to move forward, just hit the Trolling motor and move up some, and let it swing left and right again to let the baits cover the area.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

We use 5 gal. buckets when we fish Kansas lakes. Works for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I always troll against the wind but have used two 5gal buckets when drifting for catfish works good in a 19ft glass boat

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with "BigRiverMarine" - get a BIG sock! Can't be too big. Most folks (like me when I started) get the next size up from the recommended boat size by the manufacturer. Big mistake! Get at least 2 sizes up from that recommendation. Or, use two socks instead of one. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes BigRiverMarine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Like what Crestliner says about using two drift socks. I use two when fishing solo - bow and stern when wind direction is parallel to the area to be fished and the bow towards that area. If I fish with someone, usually a large sock tied to the back slows us significantly. The nice thing about two socks is that it doesn't matter the waves that would normally rock the boat -two socks stabilize the bow against rocking. I prefer plastic over nylon because it inflates faster and dries very fast for storage.